Zildjian K Dark Medium 22" (2960g)

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is the nicest example of the K Dark Medium that I've played. It's a really sweet one.

It's on the lighter, lower-pitched side for this model at 2960g. They seem to tend to run over 3000g. You get clear sticking over complex, warm, open-but-controlled wash with this one. Lay into it, though, and it really breathes back some dark fire. Fantastic crash and large, clear bell.

I picked this up at the CT Drum Show a couple of years ago on a whim. The price was right and it sounded great. It so happened that Adam Nussbaum was hanging out at the same booth at the time, so I asked him for his impressions of the cymbal. He played it for a good minute or so at different dynamics, listening to the different areas around the cymbal. At the end of it, he said, "That's a really nice cymbal!"

Only used on one gig, just prior to the Covid shutdowns. (For anyone who appreciates some Allmans mojo, the gig was a packed tribute night to the ABB at The Cutting Room in NYC.)

Why selling? I'm just looking for some different sounds right now and I need the funding.

If you're interested in this model, though, I think this is a great example.

$320 shipped/lower-48/PayPal

Here's a demo:

https://soundcloud.com/user-479509067%2Fk-dark-med-demo-mp3

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one of these definitely has a use. Live ..not a "home" or Living room, cymbal. It's too "big" for that..But in a Room (that can hold like 125) it'll do most anything you'd like. It likes 'distance" (lol)

I always have "one" new AK and at the price I found mine -near new still in the bag- 2018 model; she got the "one" spot of my modern Ks.
Had it on three gigs at least. Hard rock blues and one accordion Trio. So in a bigger room she's versatile.

Last edited:

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have one of these definitely has a use. Live ..not a "home" or Living room, cymbal. It's too "big" for that..But in a Room (that can hold like 125) it'll do most anything you'd like. It likes 'distance" (lol)

I always have "one" new AK and at the price I found mine -near new still in the bag- 2018 model; she got the "one" spot of my modern Ks.
Had it on three gigs at least. Hard rock blues and one accordion Trio. So in a bigger room she's versatile.
The thing that's nice about this one in particular is that the pitch is low enough that it CAN be used in smaller, lower-volume settings. It can speak nicely at soft dynamics and not get in the way.

I HAVE played numerous examples of this cymbal that were heavier, and some of them were downright brash and aggressive right from the get-go.

Not so with this one.

In fact, I really think Z should consider redesigning/re-weighting these to fall more in the 2700g-3000g range. That would be true "medium" in my book for this model. Above 3000g, I'd really call that medium-heavy for this design.

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score