Zildjian K sweet crashes

gronstadt

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just purchased a 17" K sweet crash and I love it. I have been stuck in a vortex of cymbal buying/trading/selling/giving and I think I am finally out of it! My question is this- for anyone with these crash cymbals, does the 17" pair well with the 18"? If I had to add one more sweet crash what size would be best? I am going for a pretty simple set up and would like to use the 17 as my main crash and a bigger brother on my right for a "get your attention" crash. They're not cheap and I can afford another one but I don't want to buy the 18 if it isn't reasonably different in tone and pitch from the 17. I play a 20" K custom ride (1991) so I don't want say...a 20" crash. Any feedback would be helpful! Thanks.

G

Josh Vibert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a 19" K Sweet. I returned it, but that's because I was looking for something darker, maybe trashier. I found what I wanted in a 20" Cluster, but that 19" K Sweet was nice and bright (but not "clangy" bright). Seems like it'd be what you want.

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I keep day dreaming about a 19" or 20". Then I wonder which would hold a better resale value. Then I wonder why I'm considering buying something that I'm already planning to sell.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play pop/rock/country, and I use 16/17/18" crashes. The majority of the time, the 16/17" crashes do the majority of the work. The only time I use the larger crash is when the music gets loud. Very loud.

GeeDeeEmm

gronstadt

Reaction score
I play pop/rock/country, and I use 16/17/18" crashes. The majority of the time, the 16/17" crashes do the majority of the work. The only time I use the larger crash is when the music gets loud. Very loud.

GeeDeeEmm
Do you use the same line of crashes or have you found different cymbals that work well together? if so, what do you use? I play mostly the same kind of music and the need for me to get super loud just isn't there right now.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you use the same line of crashes or have you found different cymbals that work well together? if so, what do you use? I play mostly the same kind of music and the need for me to get super loud just isn't there right now.
I've experimented a little bit with other brands, formulations, etc., but I always come back to my Zildjian and Sabian base. That B20 formula is simply what I like. So, right now the crash cymbal "arsenal" consists of:

- Zildjian 16" K Dark Thin Crash (new model, my favorite)
- Zildjian 16" K Dark Medium-Thin Crash (new model; Next-to favorite. And, honestly, with these two, I could live without any other crashes if need be. They are that good.)
- Zildjian 16" A Medium-Thin Crash (90s model)
- Zildjian 17" A Thin Crash (90s model)
- Zildjian 18" A Thin Crash (90s model)

And, I've noticed that in the couple of times that I've used my kit as the backline for other bands to use (low-medium volume, miked and un-miked), the drummers regularly gravitated to the sixteen and seventeen-inch crashes among the three As that were on the kit at that time, largely ignoring the 18" A.

One caveat: We played several outdoor gigs (drums miked; no overhead) where the small crashes were almost useless. I simply could not hear them, and found myself resorting to using the 18" crash almost exclusively. In those cases, I was honestly wishing that I had a 19" or 20" crash to lay into. So, considering their relatively moderate cost (for a used A, that is), having a 19" or 20" crash on hand as a spare is not a bad idea. But for me, that would simply be a luxury item.

GeeDeeEmm

VinSparkle

Reaction score
I have the 17” K Sweet, 19” K Sweet, and a 20” K Cluster. Happy to send you vids so you can decide for yourself. PM me if interested.

Latest posts