Zildjian K Sweet vs K Cluster crash demo

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is a really nice video-- it gives me the sense of the distinct voices but also gives me the sense that they'd blend well together. I've been thinking of building a set of these that would alternate sizes (17 sweet, 18 cluster, 19 sweet, 20 cluster) and finish out the set with Sweets-- maybe 21" ride, 14" or 15" hats.

Seems like you've gone in pretty big on these. Are you pleased now, after having had them for a while?

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
I recently acquired some of the cymbals under discussion - 18" K cluster crash, 15" K sweet hats and a 20" K crash ride.

I started with the hats, which are just gorgeous: low, dry, crisp, amazing chick, not too loud - this is what I wanted as an alternative to my loud/bright A Customs. Then it was a matter of figuring out what crashable ride and crash would go with those as a 'set'.

I tried the 21" K sweet ride, which I'd heard and read great things about, but found it surprisingly dull and not very crashable. The standard K crash rides worked great to me, and I went 20" as the 21" sounded beautiful but had a bit more presence than I was looking for.

From there it was a shootout between K thin/medium thin darks and the cluster crashes. When I played the cluster crash alone it sounded like too much, but in conjunction with the hats and ride it added a real 'third voice' whereas the alternatives got a bit lost.

And in terms of pitch the cymbals in this bunch sit at almost perfect intervals from each other, so bonus.

kaide

Reaction score
This is a really nice video-- it gives me the sense of the distinct voices but also gives me the sense that they'd blend well together. I've been thinking of building a set of these that would alternate sizes (17 sweet, 18 cluster, 19 sweet, 20 cluster) and finish out the set with Sweets-- maybe 21" ride, 14" or 15" hats.

Seems like you've gone in pretty big on these. Are you pleased now, after having had them for a while?
Thanks!!
I'm still very pleased with these K Sweet & Cluster cymbals. I use these all the time and some Kerope hi-hats & Rides when I want older sounds. You can hear these cymbals on almost every video on my channel since I got the cymbals...if you like more real-life demos :)

kaide

Reaction score
I recently acquired some of the cymbals under discussion - 18" K cluster crash, 15" K sweet hats and a 20" K crash ride.

I started with the hats, which are just gorgeous: low, dry, crisp, amazing chick, not too loud - this is what I wanted as an alternative to my loud/bright A Customs. Then it was a matter of figuring out what crashable ride and crash would go with those as a 'set'.

I tried the 21" K sweet ride, which I'd heard and read great things about, but found it surprisingly dull and not very crashable. The standard K crash rides worked great to me, and I went 20" as the 21" sounded beautiful but had a bit more presence than I was looking for.

From there it was a shootout between K thin/medium thin darks and the cluster crashes. When I played the cluster crash alone it sounded like too much, but in conjunction with the hats and ride it added a real 'third voice' whereas the alternatives got a bit lost.

And in terms of pitch the cymbals in this bunch sit at almost perfect intervals from each other, so bonus.
My 21" K Sweet ride is really crashable but I think it's on a light range of K Sweet rides, I have tried a little heavier on drum shops and they have a clearer bell and not so much wash compared to mine...but I liked those too :)

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
My 21" K Sweet ride is really crashable but I think it's on a light range of K Sweet rides, I have tried a little heavier on drum shops and they have a clearer bell and not so much wash compared to mine...but I liked those too :)
Maybe there's something wrong with me, because everyone seems to say what you say but I didn't find that! Or perhaps the shop I played them at had a couple of duds. Or most likely cymbals really are subjective. Whatever it is, the moral of the story is try before you buy!

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
So I played a 21" K Sweet ride yesterday and I bought it today. Different shop, different room, who knows for sure what it was. But today it had the right tone, volume, all the rest. It's also on the lighter side I imagine (I haven't weighed it) as it's fairly washy and the bell is what I'd call subdued - the bell on the 20" K crash ride is much clearer. Also picked up a 18" K Sweet crash for the sake of harmony.

Obviously this changes things for me! I now have a couple of alternative set ups or one expanded set up. We'll see what configuration gets the most use - I hate parting with musical instruments but there may need to be a sell-off at some point.

Peace!

kaide

Reaction score
So I played a 21" K Sweet ride yesterday and I bought it today. Different shop, different room, who knows for sure what it was. But today it had the right tone, volume, all the rest. It's also on the lighter side I imagine (I haven't weighed it) as it's fairly washy and the bell is what I'd call subdued - the bell on the 20" K crash ride is much clearer. Also picked up a 18" K Sweet crash for the sake of harmony.

Obviously this changes things for me! I now have a couple of alternative set ups or one expanded set up. We'll see what configuration gets the most use - I hate parting with musical instruments but there may need to be a sell-off at some point.

Peace!
18" K Sweet Crash is my favourite crash and 21" K Sweet Ride is definitely one of my favourites...Congrats!

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just found a cheap 16" Sweet Crash and tried it for the first time last night. It's perfect. I'm definitely building out a whole set of these now.

Also, looks like you're using a SnareWeight thing on your toms on some of your videos. What are those? Do you like them?

kaide

Reaction score
I just found a cheap 16" Sweet Crash and tried it for the first time last night. It's perfect. I'm definitely building out a whole set of these now.

Also, looks like you're using a SnareWeight thing on your toms on some of your videos. What are those? Do you like them?
Great!! Yes, I use SnareWeight's to reduce tom ringing to overhead mics when I'm recording, they bounce after the initial hit and then dampen the head a little bit. Works for me and doesn't change the sound as much as Moongel or rings.

Latest posts