Zildjian merging with Vic Firth

roubaix

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
[font="Verdana][size="2"]December 20, 2010[/size][/font] [font="Verdana][size="2"] It is my pleasure to announce that as of today, the world's leading cymbal manufacturer, the Avedis Zildjian Company, will merge with Vic Firth, the global market leader in drumsticks, effective immediately. Both of our New England-based, family-owned companies are well respected legacy brands in the music industry with a long tradition of product quality and innovation.

Zildjian is honored to join forces with the Vic Firth Company which has set the standard for drumsticks in the music industry. Similarities in our cultures and business philosophies, coupled with a shared dedication to product and service excellence, provide a strong foundation for the union of our two companies. Both companies will continue to run autonomously. In fact, our customers should notice no difference in the way business is conducted moving forward.

"I have the greatest respect for Zildjian," said Vic Firth, President, Vic Firth Company. "Our businesses share common values, a passion for manufacturing, and a similar approach to how we do business. This union represents a unique opportunity to leverage our respective leadership positions in the drumstick and cymbal categories. I look forward to years of growth and newfound success."

All of us at Zildjian and Vic Firth thank you for your continued support and wish you and your families a very happy holiday.

More information on this exciting merger is available at Zildjian.com.

Sincerely,

[/size][/font]
[font="Verdana][size="2"]

Craigie Zildjian
CEO
Avedis Zildjian Company
[/size][/font]

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is the age of mergers and acquisitions. This one seems like a natural - at least from a financial point of view.

I would certainly expect that they won't screw around too much with the established brands - after all that is the most valuable thing that this purchase represents.

Perhaps Zildjian will continue to offer their branded sticks as some sort of tiered product offering (Good, Better, Best kind of thing).

Vistaliter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Isn't Zildjian the oldest family business in America? Big respect for both companies.

Both Boston-based to boot! :occasion5:

Brian Oheir

Reaction score
Wow seriously???

I know this is a bit far stretched but.....before too long will all Zildjian endorsee's, have to use Vic Firth sticks and vice versa? Same for the Promark/D'addario merger? (i.e. must use Pro-Mark if you play Evans heads etc...) Will it come to a point where you have an endorsement with the parent company and have to use only products the parent company owns?

C

cpj83

"Both companies will continue to run autonomously. In fact, our customers should notice no difference in the way business is conducted moving forward."
You guys need to read everything before you get worried. ;) Doesn't sound like any product lines are going to change.

Chris

Brian Oheir

Reaction score
I'm just hoping we see some Zildjian pots and pans and saucers to go along with Vic Firths Gourmet line of kitchen utencils!!!!!
http://www.vicfirthgourmet.com/ :occasion5:

lance stallion

Reaction score
A guy from Steve Weiss Music told me VF has been making Zildjian sticks for years...I don't think anything will change. Maybe we'll get a Simon Phillips Pepper Mill out of this!

cfsboyce1957

Reaction score
For real?
What does that mean for Zildjian drumsticks?
LINK:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=a9kfvycab&v=001qcrdJaeP7TYQQLjJJzS5BdK0rN6PvMABguZqioDvPrx9rjbgl3pYplEy4jhagOXDQoQNF2VUqHI2604IzjgCKoqqQtGwC5zY1BQetu7V1h0%3D

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will we be able to use that pepper mill with either hand like Simon? :laughing5:

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
A guy from Steve Weiss Music told me VF has been making Zildjian sticks for years...I don't think anything will change. Maybe we'll get a Simon Phillips Pepper Mill out of this!

thats interested. I never liked the feel of any model of Zildjian sticks I ever picked up...but i did like the Vic Firth 5as if I coudnt get my hands on ProMark Oak 5as

L

leedybdp

B B King endorses Gibson guitars and Fender amps. Eric Clapton endorses Fender electric guitars and Martin acoustic guitars. They are just two of many artists with similar endorsements for guitars/not amps or amps/not guitars, etc.

Brian Oheir

Reaction score
B B King endorses Gibson guitars and Fender amps. Eric Clapton endorses Fender electric guitars and Martin acoustic guitars. They are just two of many artists with similar endorsements for guitars/not amps or amps/not guitars, etc.
Very True :occasion5:

As I said it was a stretch to really say that and I don't think it will occur, but thought I'd throw it out there anyhow!

And even though Simon uses Pro-Mark sticks, I suppose it's still possible for Vic to release a Phillips Signature Pepper-Mill!

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
I never cared for the zildjian sticks, they warped easily and broke quickly I tried the 5B and 2B several pairs of both size, But Vic Firth Love EM have used them for years!!! :occasion5:

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I worked for Zildjian for 5 years. "Merger" my ass. Zildjian bought Vic Firth out and out. $40M is the number being kicked around, and Vic got a 20 year employment deal! 81 years old, a job for life and $40M. Not bad.
Vic has been making the Zildjian sticks for two years -- since Z shut down the Moundsville, AL stick factory (I've been there). But Vic has been using the same Z machinery -- "Centerless Grinding" -- for the Z sticks since then; hence the continued difference between the brands.
Every time a company buys another, they say there will be no changes. And EVERY time, there are huge changes. Sometimes it takes a year or two, but it'll happen. Maybe not in brand perception, but certainly in personnel. Eliminating employment redundancies is one of the big attractions to doing an acquisition in the first place. The distribution channels potentially just got twice as efficient, as did show-costs. Do you think for a minute they won't exploit that?
Zildjian would never put their name on any "B-stock" sticks. Look for lots of discontinued product, but they probably won't eliminate either brand of stick.