header.nohb.html

Zildjian models from 1970 to 2017 includes start and end dates of models

healthie1

Reaction score
for the 20" zildjian pre aged dry light ride you didn't post a year - is this still being regularly produced, or an error?

zenstat

Reaction score
for the 20" zildjian pre aged dry light ride you didn't post a year - is this still being regularly produced, or an error?

This document was kindly supplied to the Cymbalholic community by Paul Frances a few years back. That is why it ends at 2017. It is a great start but not quite 100% complete. I'm slowly (with the accent on slow) working my way through it to check it against catalogs, flyers, ads, price lists, etc. It will eventually form the backbone of a complete list of models and series for all Avedis Zildjian cymbals. This will go into the wiki with the same level of detail we have for, say, Paiste models and series:

Your question provides a good worked example. The Pre Aged Dry Light Ride 20" diameter does not have an end date. That is an omission. It is not in production. In order to pin down the year it went out of production we need to collect examples of laser serial numbers on 20" PADLRs and see when they stop. When I last wrote up something on PADLRs

I didn't yet have an end year, I just knew they went to at least 2001. Since then we have 2005.

You can help me with the end year if you (or anybody reading this) has an example of a later 20" PADLR. This is how the collective knowledge is built up, one little cymbal at a time. I've currently got over 17,000 in my database.

Last edited:

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is from Modern Drummer's 1991 buying guide.

EDIT: Wow, that is really impossible to read. Here is a Dropbox link. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j3n430mcywd5nev/AAB014aO6-JBKdCStii5EM6Ma?dl=0

October 1991_Page_1.jpg

October 1991_Page_2.jpg

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this pdf will work....here's a list of models that Zenstat post some time ago, I always mean to make it a sticky.
Does list include the Meductic factory as well? I don't see anything concerning the Canadian made K's from the late 70's

drumbar

Reaction score
Is there anything like this for cymbals from the 60s? Like ink stamps?

zenstat

Reaction score
Is there anything like this for cymbals from the 60s? Like ink stamps?

I'm still working on the complete history of ink stamps, as well as model history for the 1960s and older. I have thousands of examples to analyze. I started to report partial results in the wiki to try and show progress and answer a question about early (1950s) use of CRASH ink.

http://www.cymbal.wiki/wiki/A_Zildjian_1950s_Crash_ink

The question about earliest CRASH ink wasn't settled when I last updated my older web site

This shows how much further I've gone than what is reported on my older site. There have been a few revolutions which change everything we thought we knew.

Your best bet is probably to start a new thread rather than clutter up this thread with specific details. If you are just asking for a complete list of all the ink stamps in use in the 1960s that's a general question I can research and answer.

If you have some specific cymbal(s) you want to identify the more info you give me like photos of what you have, the better I can focus my answer. Identifying models which have lost their model ink generally requires info on: diameter, weight, bell size, and profile (curvature of the bow) as the starting point. Knowing taper (thinning of the metal towards the edge) is the 5th of the set of parameters, but that takes special equipment to measure.

zenstat

Reaction score
Does list include the Meductic factory as well? I don't see anything concerning the Canadian made K's from the late 70's
No I believe this is just models from the US factory
Since this thread has come up again, I'll just give a little more background to this question.

Before the split between the Avedis Zildjian Co and Sabian (Meductic factory) Avedis Zildjian had some cymbals made at Meductic. It is said (without proper references or independent evidence) that Meductic did some specific models of A Zildjian cymbals. Alas the Avedis Zildjian Co don't make systematic factory distinctions before the split so we don't really know much about that. I know of a few models (in particular the Mini Cup series of Hats, and Crashes) which exist but don't appear in any catalogues or price lists I've seen. I've also got evidence of some models having a different bell or different lathing when they come from Canada. And to make things more complex it may be that some cymbals made at Meductic were shipped back to the USA and/or received the usual MADE IN U.S.A. trademark stamp rather than the specific MADE IN CANADA or the no country of origin version. We just don't know which models came from where and in what proportions.

As far as the K series goes, the Avedis Zildjian Co don't make any production era distinctions which is why you won't find Canadian, EAK or IAK mentioned anywhere in the official info. In the same way, once the split happened the Avedis Zildjian Co never mentioned the Canadian Ks again. This is my older info on the Canadian Ks in context.

Last edited: