Zildjian Oriental Crash of Doom...Who's got'em and what are your impressions and thoughts?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I'm personally not a fan of china's BUT am a huge fan of Ozone types. I have two.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not a Chinese style cymbal. It’s an effects cymbal, meant to sound trashy, but also played as a light ride. The design is based on an old warped brass cymbal Dennis Chambers had and asked us (Zildjian) to replicate, including the warped edges and dents. When it was introduced to the market we included a note saying the cymbal was not damaged or defective and was designed that way. But of course people called and said their cymbal got damaged in shipping! Ah, good times!

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I do...great cymbal. I went through several before getting the one I kept and still have. I wanted one that was prettier and not as nasty. Then again, I love a nice China or Swish....and I have some of those too.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used my 20 as a main crash for a while. Excellent cymbal. I wasn't as huge of a fan of the 22. I still have my 20 for quieter shows. They don't seem to cut as much as they blend.

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Welp, I went to my local drum shop who had one...Not for me.
Was it the harshness that turned you off, Dan? Most of the Dooms are too heavy, in my opinion. If there was still something there, underlying that interested you, finding a light version may be worth the hunt. They make for a funky secondary Ride, as well.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve got the 18”, 20” and 22”. The 20” for me is on my kit most of the time - it sits perfectly between the trash and crash aspects. My 20” is 1945g.
My 18” is a bit heavy, and 22” can be a great ride, but is too big of a crash for me (I’m thinking about selling it).
I love trash crashes and have great things to say about the 19” and 20” K Custom Special Dry trash crashes, 18” and 20” Meinl Byzance Extra Dry Thin crashes (the 20” is perfect for my ear), 18” and 20” K Custom Special Dry crashes (the 22” again is too big for me - selling), and my Crescent Stanton Moore Trash Crash (another favorite). More recently, I picked up the Agop Xist 17” and 20” Dry Dark Crashes. They’re different from the rest in having very little sustain - very quick and metallic.
My advice - check out the 20” Meinl Extra Dry Thin, or 19” K Custom Special Dry trash crash….

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I too wish they would make the dooms a tad bit thinner. They seem a hair too thick still for what I'd personally think would be better. They also seem to have less waviness to them lately. Or maybe it's just the last 2 I've had and they're plenty warped on others.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a wavy 20". Too much for Jazz playing. I did tape the bottom a little to tame it and it was okay as a ride but the Trashy crash overwhelmed the cymbal. I also added a rivet and that didn't help at all due to the overtones. I ended up selling it. I always wanted to try the 22" though....

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I seem to have a yearly Doom Cycle where I want one, seek one out, but can’t seem to rationalize buying it.

The last one I played was two years ago at GC and I realize now that this may just be one of those discs that i need to have someone hit for me so I can hear it out front.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve owned a few. They seem to vary a LOT. The last one I bought didn’t have any trash to it whatsoever. Just a very pretty light ride.

While I do like them (and the 20s frequently pop up for under $200, which is always enticing), for my personal tastes, I’ve found the sounds I was hoping to get with a CoD in other places. I especially like the Byzance Vintage Crashes. I’ve got a 22 and an 18. And if I really wanted to go all out with trashiness, Hazelshould has been selling a bunch of super thin Masterwork blanks that are like CoDs taken to a crazy extreme.

markkarj

Reaction score
It’s not a Chinese style cymbal. It’s an effects cymbal, meant to sound trashy, but also played as a light ride. The design is based on an old warped brass cymbal Dennis Chambers had and asked us (Zildjian) to replicate, including the warped edges and dents. When it was introduced to the market we included a note saying the cymbal was not damaged or defective and was designed that way. But of course people called and said their cymbal got damaged in shipping! Ah, good times!
That's an interesting note... I ordered one from Amazon and with the over-sized box and underwhelming packaging, it's amazing that it arrived in one piece!

I've had mine now for maybe six months. While I like the cymbal, it does fit more into the trashy ride vein rather than being a trashy crash. I'd personally prefer it one weight lighter... I think it would be still easy to control but would have a bit more character.

halldorl

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a 18” I really liked until I used it live. VERY low volume except in very small clubs/café’s. On bigger stages it just vanished even with a fully mic’d kit.

Jonnymac

Reaction score
I think they record well. The 22s feel really stiff and aren’t very satisfying to play, but I think they sound good under a mic. Probably too quiet for a lot of applications