Zildjian Ride Comparison: K v. Constantinople v. Kerope v. K Custom

Reaction score

I recorded all of my ride cymbals - plus a bonus cymbal which I use as a ride sometimes even though it isn't one - using the Yamaha EAD10 (Trigger and Compression on 0, with a tiny bit of reverb).

The cymbals are: 1) Zildjian 20" Kerope. It's warm and just very classic, like you've travelled back to the 1950s.

2) Zildjian 20" Thin Hi Bell High Ride. This was my first time playing this cymbal and I love it. It's ridiculously crashable (to the extent that I'll use it as a main crash when I'm not playing jazz) and has that lovely trashy Kcon sound. The sprial lathing part is noticably dryer than the rest of it so it can sound like two different cymbals. It's a joy.

3) Zildjian 20" K Pre-Aged Dry Light Ride. I use this cymbal as the main ride on my main gig (playing live dance music) and it is neither especially Dry nor especially Light. It tone sits above the music (as opposed to the next cymbal listed, which sits below it) and cuts through, and the bell is my favourite ride bell I've ever played - it's like a Ping Ride, but you can crash it. I actually don't think this video does this ride many favours - to my ears it sounds slightly purer of tone in the room. It's the loudest cymbal here when you want it to be, but also one of the most controllable.

4) Zildjian 20" K Custom Staccato Ride (prototype version). These are now widely available from Zildjian but I got this one second-hand before they got past the prototype stage. I use this cymbal in the 'main crash' position for jazz, and have started using it for other gigs too - it works so well as a mellower alternative to a main ride. I tend to use a chain on it, and it sounds a bit like a flat-ride. It shimmers and crashes beautifully, like a stained glass window breaking...

5) Zildjian 22" K Constantinople Renaissance Ride. This is probably the one I'd save first if there was a fire. I love this cymbal so much. It's dark, and complex, and trashy. It crashes beautifully. It's articulate and controllable. It's just glorious. It's also, of all the cymbals I've ever owned, the one which needs the most care paid to how you play it. The way I play it in this video is not how I play it in real life; it responds well to subtler playing, but you can really whack it. I use it all the time for jazz and it would happily sit in a rock band seting too as the bell is decent. This is the only one of these I bought new and it was worth every penny.

6) Zildjian 22" K Constantinople Over Hammered Thin Ride. This is a really thin cymbal - you can really see it vibrate - and although I love it I never really use as the 'main' or only ride. I've put two rivets in it and it goes on forever. Suits lighter playing. It sits on my right, and crashes like a gong - it seems to almost have a delayed attack so it swells.

7) The wild card! Zildjian 20" Oriental Crash of Doom. These are amazing cymbals, deliberately not quite circular, and processed to make them sound, well, processed. They're so dark and trashy that I like using this one in jazz sometimes - it's a different sound but it reallt works as a ride.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice....be great if we also knew weights to help the comparison. Love when people do these comparisons, they are super informative.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Cool comparison, I'm a K Con devotee am partial to them. That Thin hi bell high ride is really interesting and unique within the K Con line. Might have to try to hunt one down for my own collection.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mighty fine comparison video. I like your format, and your descriptions are excellent.

And I like your cymbals, two of them in particular.

Currently use a 20” Staccato prototype a lot like yours, and it is as you describe.
I owned a 20” PADLR. I too used it as a main ride; then in some louder bands as a crash. Yours sounds a lot like mine did. (If you bought yours on eBay a few years ago, and the “K” logo always swings around to the bottom from unequal weight, possibly my old cymbal[?})

Agree adding gram weight would put this showcase over the top.

These kind of comparison videos, I think, are really some of the most helpful ones out there.

Reaction score
Thanks all. Good point about the weights. I find that helpful too because I'm always looking for the lighter end of the spectrum for crashability... If I ever weigh them I'll add the details!
Currently use a 20” Staccato prototype a lot like yours, and it is as you describe.
I owned a 20” PADLR. I too used it as a main ride; then in some louder bands as a crash. Yours sounds a lot like mine did. (If you bought yours on eBay a few years ago, and the “K” logo always swings around to the bottom from unequal weight, possibly my old cymbal[?})

Wow we have similar taste! With my main gig I use these two rides together so they get a lot of time on the kit. They work really well as a pair for contrasting sounds.
Cool comparison, I'm a K Con devotee am partial to them. That Thin hi bell high ride is really interesting and unique within the K Con line. Might have to try to hunt one down for my own collection.
I can't reccomend it highly enough. Had a rehearsal yesterday with a mini set up, one crash one ride, used this as the ride it can do it all. So versatile.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for making video. The Kerope and Renaissance were my favs.