Zildjian scimitar composition

LeviB5

Reaction score
Hi, I'm actually a balcksmith not a drummer. Bronze sheet for historical armor recreation is veerrrrry expensive and hard to source so I'm trying to use cracked/ used drum cymbals. B8 is similar to what the greeks would have actually used and is quite good for armor. I got a 16" zildjian scimitar crash and a 14" scimitar hi hat bottom from the music store. Has a crack, but that can be welded. I'm wondering if they are made of b8 or b20, this will affect how they can be worked and I don't want any nasty surprises.

thanks

KillinBill66

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought there was the regular Scimitar line, which was brass, and also the 'Scimitar Bronze' which was B8.

My first cymbals were regular Scimitars. Awful sounding... But perhaps better for armor

LeviB5

Reaction score
I thought there was the regular Scimitar line, which was brass, and also the 'Scimitar Bronze' which was B8.

My first cymbals were regular Scimitars. Awful sounding... But perhaps better for armor
No these are the scimitar bronze. Bronze is a much better type of metal for armor and weapons than brass. May more versatile, with many more alloy possibilities.

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, if they are stamped 'Scimitar bronze', they are B8.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any pictures of your work?