Zildjian Special Dry Talk...

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Howdy Fellas,

I'm curious to hear about everybody's experience with Zildjian's K Custom Special Dry Series, specifically the newest run.

Upon listening to videos online, it seems like the 22" crash is the only size among the crashes that has much ridability. Even the 20" seems to be so dry that it would be too... sparse. I realize that this whole business is subjective, but I'm actually looking for opinions and anecdotes.

I also realize that these cymbals may be old news to a lot of you, and I'm also interested to hear about how they have settled in.

I generally stay away from any cymbal marked "Dry" but there seems to be a little bit extra in the 22" crash model.

The rides have all seemed dead to me in the samples I've heard.

Anybody ever put rivets in one?

Soulfinger

Reaction score
I had the factory set (14, 16, 18, 21) for a while. I like them, although they are not a terribly good match for each other. The hi hats are brighter than you would expect, not quite what I wanted. The crashes are very nice and pretty similar to the Meinl Byzance Extra Dry crashes. The ride is the star of the bunch IMHO - very versatile. Here´s a good example (then again, Eric Harland can make anything sound good):

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The hats were the only thing I liked when they came out, so I picked up the 14's. They're new beat weights and I wish they weren't. I've always thought about picking up another top & using one as the bottom for a more evenly matched set, but that's just me.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I liked the hats I played had enough volume for what they were ... Crashes were underwhelming except for the 17 and 19 if I was forced to pick one I'd get the 19 it had more bite and presence than it's 17" little brother. To be honest I dont remember the rides being much to get excited about .... In my opinion. The K Custom special dry ride from a few years ago.....that one I Liked! Owned one for a bit but it didn't mix with the other cymbals I was playing at the time

Freewill3

Reaction score
I think they record extremely well from all the sound files I've heard. I really, really wanted the 21" ride and have traveled to many destinations to find THEE one but something always came up short. Wound up getting the 14" hi hat top, used as a bottom paired with other hats. Istanbul 30th Anniversary, Meinl Jazz Thin tops go great with the Special Dry as a bottom.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had the factory set (14, 16, 18, 21) for a while. I like them, although they are not a terribly good match for each other. The hi hats are brighter than you would expect, not quite what I wanted. The crashes are very nice and pretty similar to the Meinl Byzance Extra Dry crashes. The ride is the star of the bunch IMHO - very versatile. Here´s a good example (then again, Eric Harland can make anything sound good):

That's the old, discontinued style of cymbal, though (video is from 2013).
I know because some mycymbal bloke asked around at cymbalholic what cymbals Eric Harland should demo for them, and we suggested some. My request was this here's the video (he unknowingly called me "baby" :D)

10 Lug

Reaction score
I have a 21" special dry ride. When I first got it I wasn't crazy about it. I put 3 evenly spaced light rivets in it and it became my main ride for several years. I eventually replaced it with a 22" MTL.
The rivets made it work.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
The Special Dry Crashes work great when played upside down:

nolibos

Reaction score
i am putting rivets in mine today, after reading this discussion. It always seemed like it was missing something.

jashoup

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Howdy Fellas,

I'm curious to hear about everybody's experience with Zildjian's K Custom Special Dry Series, specifically the newest run.

Upon listening to videos online, it seems like the 22" crash is the only size among the crashes that has much ridability. Even the 20" seems to be so dry that it would be too... sparse. I realize that this whole business is subjective, but I'm actually looking for opinions and anecdotes.

I also realize that these cymbals may be old news to a lot of you, and I'm also interested to hear about how they have settled in.

I generally stay away from any cymbal marked "Dry" but there seems to be a little bit extra in the 22" crash model.

The rides have all seemed dead to me in the samples I've heard.

Anybody ever put rivets in one?
I've owned several models from the line. The 21 and 23 inch rides are both great and super versatile. Obviously they have a little bit of a volume ceiling, but I used mine on jazz gigs, some musical theater productions, and even some blues and pop gigs and they killed. They’re nice in that you don’t really have to worry about the cymbal taking up too much of the "sonic landscape;" they stay out of the way.

I did a shoot-out video of the two sizes when I still had them both. You should be able to see the video here:

I bought a 22” crash in March to use as a jazz ride and I love it. It has an aggressive stick sound so I wouldn’t likely use it for a primary jazz ride, but as a secondary option it lends a very nice texture. Gorgeous dry/trashy/roaring wash, reminiscent of an Istanbul Agop 30th, believe it or not. It actually reminds me somewhat of a swish type sound, and I have considered dropping some rivets in it to complete the picture. It is also very fun to do repeated, staccato cymbal accents on this one. Zildjian hit it out of the park on this one. I've considered ordering a 20" to see if it has the same qualities.

The 18" vented china is also super badass. And I currently use a 15" Special Dry top as a bottom cymbal for my hi hats, paired with a Kerope top. Beautiful sound that reminds me of a great pair of larger old A's, a la Brian Blade.

Of course, Your Mileage May Vary.

JS

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've owned several models from the line. The 21 and 23 inch rides are both great and super versatile. Obviously they have a little bit of a volume ceiling, but I used mine on jazz gigs, some musical theater productions, and even some blues and pop gigs and they killed. They’re nice in that you don’t really have to worry about the cymbal taking up too much of the "sonic landscape;" they stay out of the way.

I did a shoot-out video of the two sizes when I still had them both. You should be able to see the video here:

I bought a 22” crash in March to use as a jazz ride and I love it. It has an aggressive stick sound so I wouldn’t likely use it for a primary jazz ride, but as a secondary option it lends a very nice texture. Gorgeous dry/trashy/roaring wash, reminiscent of an Istanbul Agop 30th, believe it or not. It actually reminds me somewhat of a swish type sound, and I have considered dropping some rivets in it to complete the picture. It is also very fun to do repeated, staccato cymbal accents on this one. Zildjian hit it out of the park on this one. I've considered ordering a 20" to see if it has the same qualities.

The 18" vented china is also super badass. And I currently use a 15" Special Dry top as a bottom cymbal for my hi hats, paired with a Kerope top. Beautiful sound that reminds me of a great pair of larger old A's, a la Brian Blade.

Of course, Your Mileage May Vary.

JS
Awesome! Thanks for the response!
Very helpful.