zildjian stamping and 15" hats

carl1969

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a site where I can reference the engraved logo for zildjians? I recently bought a pair of 15" hats off ebay, I'm guessing that they are 60's, the engraving has the three dot above the "U" in the lower right quadrant and the logos seems larger and is farther from the edge of the cymbal than usual. The only marking I have been able to find is a rubber stamp on the inside of the cymbal marked Hi Hat, with the word Rock above it. Its funny becuase these hats sound much lighter and darker than my new (2003) 14" new beats. Both 15's seem to be the same around 3 pounds each. They do not sound like the rock hats that I have heard in the past (which is a good thing for me). These are much more warmer, they are even warmer than the 14" New Beats.They make my 14" new beats sound brittle when compared.

So my question is when did the wieghts of the cymbals change and you would think that new beats should be lighter and warmer than rock hats shouldn't they or is this due to the vintage.

BoxMonster13

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm glad I checked this post, it turns out I have 15" hats from the 50s-60s! I knew they were old but had no idea how vintage!

carl1969

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
thanks for the site info, it looks as though they are 60's 15" rock hats

D

drumaholic

BoxMonster13 said:
I'm glad I checked this post, it turns out I have 15" hats from the 50s-60s! I knew they were old but had no idea how vintage!
If they have the 3 dots that means definitely NOT the fifties. They didn't make "rock hi-hats" in the fifties either.

The vintage difference between your new beats and these is the reason why they're lighter than you might expect them to be.

BoxMonster13

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
drumaholic said:
BoxMonster13 said:
If they have the 3 dots that means definitely NOT the fifties. They didn't make "rock hi-hats" in the fifties either.

The vintage difference between your new beats and these is the reason why they're lighter than you might expect them to be.
I'm a separate poster, didn't mean to butt in, just found that website that explained all of the stamps interesting.

carl1969

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did they make rock hats in the 60's?

Latest posts