Zildjian trans-stamp date help 40's or 50's???

teenagebrain

Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought this cymbal from C.L.= "Zildjian 20" Light Ride $80"...But it measures 19 5/8" ???...Sounds like a "K"(dark w/Explosive crashes and a very controllable Ride-Center Cymbal/Bell)...Thin/Light in weight=1640 GRAMS...and a small trans stamp 1 1/8"(w/NO ..-- under the "U")...Center hole size 7/16" w/MINOR key holeing...Lots of hammer marks on top,but not too much on bottom...Flea bites on edge(Counted 11 small one)...but NO Cracks!!! Based on my discription,and picture,is this from the 40's or 50's? I will play this baby tonight,but in general I'm not too into these types of pies,as i play louder music...
Please Help,
Cheers,
Tenagebrain

Attachments

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
your era is correct. would be pre 54 or so i think. 40's would work too. you got one heck of a deal on that one. if you play heavy, be careful. if you like to play loud, might be better to make you a profit on it and use the funds to get something else. congrats on finding it!

mike

Jim Hodgson

Advanced Forum Guru
Reaction score
Nice score!

First, vintage cymbals are often under-sized ... not exactly sure why, however. It's rare to find an old K in larger sizes, for example, that "measures up" so to speak. (That could be a metric issue?) Many of my trans stamps are slightly under-sized, too -- but not all of them.

Second, so far as '40s or '50s is concerned with respect to trans stamps, it's VERY difficult to tell. Bill Maley at Classic Vintage claims that the '40s "distinction" (if you will) is a sort of checkering or scoring pattern in the stamp, which you can see in these photos -- look closely:

\'40s Trans Stamp 1 (00043253).JPG

\'40s Trans Stamp 2 (00043254).JPG

Note that these are Bill's photos -- not mine -- and copyrighted as such. (Not sure if I should be reposting them?)

Bill also claims that MANY more trans stamps were produced in the '50s than in the '40s (can't remember his suggested ratio -- maybe 10-to-1?), so if you have to just guess...

Third, if the cymbal isn't really suited to your style of music, and you want to flip it quickly and lucratively ;) please let me know by PM. Always buying trans stamps in that weight class.

Thanks!

teenagebrain

Reaction score
Thanks Guys! The cymbal sounded really great! I laid off it a bit(dont crack cymbals EVER,and didnt wanna chance it) also had a time shaving the plastic cup washer on the stand my cymbal sits on(the hole was too small)by friend Bill Batman was on hand to help out the carving...NO the CYMBAL HOLE the plastic!!! Looking into an 18"(measures 17-3/16") as a conter part for this one,as yesterday i played some blues in the garage and it really opened up with a lighter pair of sticks!

Latest posts