header.nohb.html

Zildjian Z Dyno Beat - Which is Top and Bottom?

cap217

Reaction score
I have an old set of Z dyno beat 13". I just pulled them out and they both say Hi Hat but the hammering pattern is different. Which is the top and which is the bottom? Or does it even matter with these?

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is one heavier than the other? If so thats probably the bottom. I have a Z custom bottom at home I can get a pic of later to show the pattern but not sure if that stayed the same from Z. That being said try both and see what you like. I usually keep my new beats upside down

2oo2

Reaction score
The heaviest would usually be the bottom, but just use them in the way they sound better to you. BTW I have a K/Z combo and the Z also just says “Hi Hat”.

cap217

Reaction score
The one with the hexagon hammer pattern should be the top, and the one with the ball peen hammering should be the bottom.

I thought it was opposite. Anyone else have any input?

cap217

Reaction score
The heaviest would usually be the bottom, but just use them in the way they sound better to you. BTW I have a K/Z combo and the Z also just says “Hi Hat”.

What is the hammer pattern?

mattr

Reaction score
I thought it was opposite. Anyone else have any input?
I believe this to be true. K/Z hats that are still in production have the hex hammer for the Z bottom. The five-point open star was on top. And as the other said, the lower pitch cymbal of the two would be your top.

Reactions: egw

spelman

Reaction score
I have an old set of Z dyno beat 13". I just pulled them out and they both say Hi Hat but the hammering pattern is different. Which is the top and which is the bottom? Or does it even matter with these?
This is what Zildjian wrote at the time:
20220830_130147.jpg

20220830_130117.jpg

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Play them how ya want. I use to play a paiste 13 sound edge as the bottom and a dark crisp bottom as a top they sounded so good. Totally regret getting rid of them

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Different degrees of manhole cover ;)

The K/Z combo was a good idea; I would try any lighter cymbal you have as top rather than using both Zs together.

cap217

Reaction score
Different degrees of manhole cover ;)

The K/Z combo was a good idea; I would try any lighter cymbal you have as top rather than using both Zs together.

For 20 years I would have agreed with you but taking these back out, they sound great. I am now running the hex on top of a K dark bottom and the stick definition is great. Open they sound good as well. I dont understand how because I hated these for so long.

2oo2

Reaction score
My 14” Z Dyno Beat Hi Hat with hex pattern weights 1296 g, just about average for a modern bottom hi hat, apart from its dryness and pinginess (is that even a word)? I don’t feel it’s on the extreme side, I’ve also used it as a top and the sound is pleasant, brighter but not harsh.