Zim Gar alert?

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All I know about them is that I have a Zim Gar cocktail drum in blue sparkle that sounds pretty good. I would like to know more too. Mine is most likely from the mid to late sixty's

W

wayne

I have a 20,12,16,5,5 blue sprkl,cast hoops,re rings all original and i was floored by the sound of these,even the 8 lug snare.I think i got lucky as not all MIJ drums are created equal.

Blkonyx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Kind of cool. Looks like a Rogers mixed with premier lug. The throw-off is like a camco as well. My buddy has a zim-gar kit in Blue oyster which sounds great with Remo Coated Emperors.

W

wayne

Quinn..Yes,i remember that now.I dont play them for everything but as a jazz kit with old Zildjians,it does the job.How is that Paiste cymbal working out for you?

Maggot

Reaction score
I have a Zim Gar bass drum in WMP that I bought from DFO-er Vistaliter. My impression is that they were made by Pearl in the 1960s. It definitely seems pretty interchangeable with the rest of my kit which are 60s Pearls. I like my Zim Gar, by the way. It's not the sturdiest, but it sounds great.

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
Stencil brand import. The Zim is part of someone's name as is Gar, (Garfield.) They imported and distributed musical instruments in the 60s and 70s. I believe that they were made by STAR, which is Tama now.

W

wayne

These are the drums my pop bought me when i was 11.I managed to deal with a fellow member who had the EXACT config,color,mounts,etc.I did a deal based on sentimental reasons but i now realize what a cool sound they had 48 yrs ago.Believe me,these are wonderful warm sounding drums.Mahog shells,maple re rings in all drums,cast hoops,heavy lugs and rods,8 lug kick and snare...One of my keepers for sure!!

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Stencil brand import. The Zim is part of someone's name as is Gar, (Garfield.) They imported and distributed musical instruments in the 60s and 70s. I believe that they were made by STAR, which is Tama now.
Yep. They were really cheapo drums back in the 60's. Kids everywhere were playing them in garage bands. Nobody could get their parents to spring for a real pro set. When some kid would actually get a real Ludwig or Gretsch set, we would all go over to his house and droll over them. Of course, he couldn't play them, but his parents were rich....

dave drew

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Zim Gar -- distributed by GarZim Company - brooklyn .n.y.

i knew the owners personally -- Larry Zimmerman and his wife ran the company - me and my dad al drew used to drive out to brooklyn early in the am and pick up drums and guitars !! he had a big wharehouse where we would open the boxes and check out the cool colors and stuff - he imported everything - mostly from japan back then this would have been in the late 60's when i would go i would bunk school and we would drive out there fill up the station wagon to save $ on u.p.s.

his wife collected $2.00 bills as they were no where to be found in new york city --people would pass them off as 20.00!!

my dad would bring bag of 2.00 bills maybe 200-300 of them and we would pay the invoice with them

larry zimmerman was very succesful guy he ''coppied '' lots of lug designs and tom holders he was also one of the first guys to come out with strat and les paul copies -- this was way before the lawsuit days

the last time we were there larry announced they were closing and retiring -- new york was bankcrupt and they were paying there taxes monthly if not weekly and they had just had it

we went up into the office and had lunch with larry -me - my dad and had -------- pea soup with a bagel !!!!
i was a 10 year old kid ? im like w.t.f.

but i was respectful and tried to eat it

the point of all this story is that this was a day gone by - people that made a living and had fun at the same time bringing in drums and guitars that were just cool--and cheap also

everything now seems so generic and stale compared to those days
guess im just old or getting old

but that is the story of zim gar
b.t.w

the drums were called zim -gar and the guitars were called gar- zim -- who would of thought

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
A buddy gave me a gold sparkle Zim Gar tom to go with my first kit, a frankenkit with Ludwig and stencil brand components. I couldn't give you any clue on what it was capable of sounding like beyond "awful," because I had no clue how to tune it!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
dave drew, what a great story. Thanks for sharing that. I knew basically that Zim Gar was an import 60s brand, but didn't know anything about the company. Really appreciate hearing some first hand history!

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dave, That was a great story. It makes me appreciate this cocktail drum a lot more.

Thanks, Lane

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dave - I echo the others by saying great Zim Gar story - thanks for sharing it - nice slice of life.

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great story Dave!

Here is a Zim Gar kit that was prety far gone that I restored for a neighborhood kid. Didn't sound bad after I put new edges and heads on them.
Floor tom was completely delaminated and bass spur had punched through bd.

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
Thanks Dave Drew! Zimmerman. Couldn't think of his name, even with the ZIM part given to me. There was a department store in Muncie, IN in the 60s that always had about 20 Zim-Gar sets on the floor.

W

wayne

HmmmmWith that kind of connection and the association with U.S. business folks,i,ll bet these little gems could be a collectable some day.Kind of like what Kent drums are.

W

wayne

Dave;Wonderful recollection of a moment in history.I hope that makes it into a book some day where people will be able to follow a time when record keeping was at best,non existant.Its these little tidbits that help connect the dots for historians...Pea soup would have stuck in my head as well.Now if it had been chicken noodle and a bagel!:icon_smile:

dave drew

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
thanks guy - we really had fun years ago --me and dad would drive to save $ shipping it was big deal and i got to bunk shcoll -- maybe that is why my brother is a lawyer and i own a music store - hahahaha

but really------ used to go to charles alden company year ago outside boston - he was the u.s dist for sonor and zildjian cynbals-- and also harris fandel - they used to dist rogers drums-- i remeber as a kid going to harris fandel showroom and sitting down on a brand new set or rogers and playing them right in the show room - dick di censo --- famed drum teacher -------used to work there he can out one day and watched -- talk about being intimidated - dam

charles alden taught - steve smith - from journey -- it was a wonderful small world back then

Latest posts