Zim Gar alert?

W

wayne

Dave...do you remember the Arfin Percussion House from Brooklyn N.Y?I have heads with that stamp on them!

zutty

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I too have fond memories of having a Zim-Gar as my 1st snare. As I recall it sounded like total crap and I saved up my paper-route money as fast as I could so I could buy my 1st real kit, a Gretsch RB that was in the window of the local mom and pop music store. I truly loved that kit and would set it up and break it down daily...for FUN! Here is that kit...It cost a total of $325 including hardware and Zildjians!
View attachment 75002

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary
Reaction score
Zim Gar -- distributed by GarZim Company - brooklyn .n.y.

i knew the owners personally -- Larry Zimmerman and his wife ran the company - me and my dad al drew used to drive out to brooklyn early in the am and pick up drums and guitars !! he had a big wharehouse where we would open the boxes and check out the cool colors and stuff - he imported everything - mostly from japan back then this would have been in the late 60's when i would go i would bunk school and we would drive out there fill up the station wagon to save $ on u.p.s.

his wife collected $2.00 bills as they were no where to be found in new york city --people would pass them off as 20.00!!

my dad would bring bag of 2.00 bills maybe 200-300 of them and we would pay the invoice with them

larry zimmerman was very succesful guy he ''coppied '' lots of lug designs and tom holders he was also one of the first guys to come out with strat and les paul copies -- this was way before the lawsuit days

the last time we were there larry announced they were closing and retiring -- new york was bankcrupt and they were paying there taxes monthly if not weekly and they had just had it

we went up into the office and had lunch with larry -me - my dad and had -------- pea soup with a bagel !!!!
i was a 10 year old kid ? im like w.t.f.

but i was respectful and tried to eat it

the point of all this story is that this was a day gone by - people that made a living and had fun at the same time bringing in drums and guitars that were just cool--and cheap also

everything now seems so generic and stale compared to those days
guess im just old or getting old

but that is the story of zim gar
b.t.w

the drums were called zim -gar and the guitars were called gar- zim -- who would of thought
Dave, I loved reading that!! Glad someone was able to live and tell of such stuff as it would be gone and forgotten otherwise!!!

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ah yes...Zim Gar! The cheapest of the cheap, but popular as heck with young musicians because of their cheap price.

I, myself am a member of the "Zim Gar Was My First Drum" club. A cousin of mine got me a Zim Gar snare in the early 1970s, which started me on my long drumming career. Yes, I still have the snare, and I'm going to restore it for my 40th drumming anniversary in summer 2013.

The drum itself actually DID sound good. The problem, as I remember it, was that after 20 minutes or so, it would loosen up and go out of tune. But i still have the drum, and have pictures of me playing it at least until 1984.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Back in the DCI days there was a thread about Zim-Gars and a member of the Zimmerman family posted a response with her own memories of the company (I think she was the daughter of the Zimmerman side of the business). I don't recall any specific details and of course the thread itself was deleted years ago. As I remember, her recollections matched pretty well with Dave's post earlier in this thread.

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
as promised, here are the pics of 2 ZimGar drums i just acquired: a tom and snare. the snare does not have the badge, but has the exact same wrap as the tom. not sure what I'm doing with them yet.

W

wayne

There must be a good,better,best scale with Zims because i have the best made early MIJ kit!. With cast hoops,8 lug kick and snare,re rings,heavy lugs,etc, the kit continues to amaze me. You would swear this is a Gretsch kit from a few feet away, and yes, it sounds beautiful. SOOO...If you have a kit like this and you,re selling, pls give me a shout.

DrummerCT

Reaction score
I have a couple of Zim-Gar bongo sets. Their tone is good, although they don't project so much. One pair I've had since, I think, the late '60's, or very early '70's!
They're also part of my first and last attempt to tuck a replacement calfskin head!