Zim Gar Orange Sparkle Restoration

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
A friend of mine found these on the side of the road ready for the trash truck. He called me and said should he pick them up. He has a 12 year old son who has been getting into drums and wants a kit. I told them to throw them in his truck and bring them over.
The good news was everything was intact except floor tom legs, nothing had been modified, it has a nice early 60's vibe with very cool finish.

The bad news was the floor tom inner plys had seen a good deal of water damage and were delaminating, the base drum spurs where completely punched in through the shell and the bearing edges were crap.

JIm was going to fix them but he was procrastinating a bit ( a year or so) and I wanted to do the work just for the fun anyway. So he brought them over a couple of months ago and they really came out great. I made a jig and glued the puched out plywood back together and put in some extra pieces of 5"x5" x 1/4" plywood at the spurs for reinforcing. I stripped all the veneer out of the floor tom except maybe a 1/6" or so remained + the wrap, and put new veneer back in. Routered new edges and cleaned them all up. Dropped them off on Jesse his sons porch...he called me a few days ago so happy....
They sound just great. I was a little disappointed with the sound until I pulled the heads off and min waxed the edges. Then they really came to life.

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That looks like a great restoration. I once found a Premier wood shelled 2000 snare dumped by the side of the road but it didn't turn out as good as that! :D

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks Jonesy,

Here are a few more picts. It came with a really cool accessory, the stick/cowbell holder. I never have success with keeping a cowbell on the bass drum but I really liked the stick holder.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
nice work archt. those really turned out great. you do some fine work! he might wanna keep his eyes open on ebay. ive seen the matching snare for that kit for much of nothing. :)

mike

Casper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought a kit just like that (except it had the Stewart label and had a matching snare) a few years back at an estate auction for $75. All it needed was cosmetic work and new heads. I fixed it up and sold it for $200. Made a young kid very happy. Wish I'd taken pictures of it before I let it go.

I also found a 3 piece 60's Japanese kit on the side of the road a few years ago, in the rain no less. Took them home, dried them off, and eventually refurbished them. Put green sparkle contact paper on them, and they looked and sounded great. I gave that set to my younger son; we still have them.

Man, that was some intense work! They look great, congrats. Beer and drums on the dining room table...doesn't get any better than that!

Chris

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
Archt said:
Here are a few more picts. It came with a really cool accessory, the stick/cowbell holder. I never have success with keeping a cowbell on the bass drum but I really liked the stick holder.

Fantastic resto job--shockingly great! :shock: :notworthy: :occasion5: Very ingenious jig tooling too! :drunken:

Man, an initial cursory look at the photos without reading the text had me believing was a RB Gretsch kit!... :blackeye:

-elcid

trixonian

DFO Master
Reaction score
What an amazing restoration. If I understand correctly the floor tom had basically delaminated completely so you replaced all the inner layers with veneer. That's wild, you must have some considerable carpentry skills. Maybe I'll send you some wrap and you can build a drum for the inside of it!

Love the pictures too. Drum work tables are truely places of wonder.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Nice job, Archt.
Those drums look (and I'm sure, sound) fantastic.
:occasion5:

Elvis

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
Archt said:
Susan would not have liked this sight of her dining room table...

susans dining room? you just call it that don`t you? looks like a drum workshop to me! drums look nice. great job!

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
cpj83 said:
Man, that was some intense work! They look great, congrats. Beer and drums on the dining room table...doesn't get any better than that!

Chris

haha don't we all know it!

Thanks for the comments guys, I really dig that long trail beer. The guitar player in my band is a brewer and he has turned me on to some great beers.

Yes, definitely Susan's dining room table. I only highjacked it while she was away. 1/2 way through when I was doing the jigging and some other things she came home with some of the drum stuff still there. Not as bad as the photos at all....I just could not get why she was in such a bad mood. It took me a full week until I was setting up again and a light bulb went of in my head..... oh the dining room table transformation ....duh, now I make sure she does not see it.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Archt said:
cpj83 said:

Chris
haha don't we all know it!

Thanks for the comments guys, I really dig that long trail beer. The guitar player in my band is a brewer and he has turned me on to some great beers.

Yes, definitely Susan's dining room table. I only highjacked it while she was away. 1/2 way through when I was doing the jigging and some other things she came home with some of the drum stuff still there. Not as bad as the photos at all....I just could not get why she was in such a bad mood. It took me a full week until I was setting up again and a light bulb went of in my head..... oh the dining room table transformation ....duh, now I make sure she does not see it.
Sounds like a good excuse to build that "add-on" to the garage. ;)

Elvis