Zoom H6

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m looking for advice about a Zoom recorder. I want to be able to record my drums and send them to the bass player I play with. I have a mixing board but it’s more of a PA and frankly, I really don’t know the ins and outs of it! I know a lot of y’all sing the praises of the zoom recorders and I would love some feedback. The H6 seems cool and it’s fairly inexpensive, is it overkill?
Thanks

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use the Zoom Q2N - it records on a Micro SD card - I then just send the file over by email or Dropbox . Very easy to use - sound and video quality are really good and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg . I have a small tripod that it goes on . I typically use an e-kit for my recording and have a splitter cable that runs from the stereo out jacks to the Zoom Q2N .

Attachments

sammy123

Reaction score
The H6 is not overkill and I know people that love them. Plus it will be useful for anything else you need to record. Definitely good enough for drums. You can also run your mixer into it if you need to close mic your drums.

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I was going to close mic my drums, an e kit is not an option.
Can I run the jacks directly into the Zoom?

sammy123

Reaction score
If it's a powered mixer you would not run the mains to the zoom, but I'm sure there is a aux stereo out. You would run those to the primary inputs on the zoom.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use the Zoom Q2N - it records on a Micro SD card - I then just send the file over by email or Dropbox . Very easy to use - sound and video quality are really good and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg . I have a small tripod that it goes on . I typically use an e-kit for my recording and have a splitter cable that runs from the stereo out jacks to the Zoom Q2N .
But the moment you plug the line into the Q2N input jack it shuts off the mics and goes with the line feed correct?

sillyilly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an H6 that I use as an audio interface to my computer, with Cubase Elements. So far it’s been great, no complaints.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
But the moment you plug the line into the Q2N input jack it shuts off the mics and goes with the line feed correct?
That is correct - it take the audio line feed instead of the speaker feed . I was relived when I found that out as I did not want the speakers hearing the sound of sticks hitting pads .

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have an H6 that I use as an audio interface to my computer, with Cubase Elements. So far it’s been great, no complaints.
Ditto here. I'm not that familiar with Cubase yet, but it came with the Zoom and seems quite powerful.
With the Zoom H6 (or H4) you get a number of inputs and multitrack recording options. You can use condenser mics with phantom power combined with the internal mics etc. On the other hand, you need to set up the mics, get levels, afterwards do a mixdwon to a 2-track file etc.
For a simpler solution, you could get a Zoom H1N and just put it in front of your drums, or whatever you want to record, record onto the SD card, export to something like Audacity, trim and send this.