header.nohb.html

Zoom Q2n-4k?

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of posts on this but I'm wondering a few more things?

1) Do you use the super wide FOV? Seems like it might be handy for tight spaces but I'm not sure if it's unusable due to distortion. I was especially thinking of drum lessons here. How do you set up your camera for lessons anyway? Over the shoulder POV or looking down on the kit?

2) do you feel it significantly improves lessons in particular over a cell phone video?

3) is it enough of a step up, or just a $250 cell phone camera?

Trying to decide if this is a useful bit of kit or a new shiny toy going in the box of unused toys after six months. I'm thinking it might be useful for lessons and song sharing.

What says the net?

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the drum lessons thing but I've been using one to record my bands and the sound quality is outstanding. The video quality is good too but the sound quality is what I was after when I purchased it.

My only complaint is that it has such a wide angle lens that you have to get it really close. I put it back farther so it will be out in front of the mains then zoom it in which does lower the image quality. Overall I've been very pleased with it.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Audio quality is the point of these Zoom cameras, and they really have it. Much better than a phone. I have a Q8, and the audio quality is awesome. They don't take the best video, especially in low light, but they are fine with good lighting. Video on a modern phone will blow these away. The wide angle can be overcome by zooming in. Looks more natural. I don't have any experience with the q2n-4k, but I don't regret the $299 I spent for the q8.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
My drums are wedged in the corner of a bonus room. I figured the wide angle might be helpful.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Audio quality is the point of these Zoom cameras, and they really have it. Much better than a phone. I have a Q8, and the audio quality is awesome. They don't take the best video, especially in low light, but they are fine with good lighting. Video on a modern phone will blow these away. The wide angle can be overcome by zooming in. Looks more natural. I don't have any experience with the q2n-4k, but I don't regret the $299 I spent for the q8.
Agreed on all counts -- one thing that the Zoom video DOES do well: it doesn't have the auto image stabilization that iPhones have. My iPhone video is almost unusable, because it shakes so much when the kick drum hits. The Zoom doesn't have that problem.

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had the original Q2N and liked it. Video quality slowly went down over time.
Borrowed a buddies Q2N-4K and loved it so much I bought one.
It’s been terrific. Good video, Great audio. Recommended.

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had my Q2n since Halloween
of last year. I'm still trying to get
used to it.

My Samsung Galaxy A10e phone
does a much better job recording
video and audio in excellent quality.
So, my Q2n remains in use as a
secondary camera in my video setups.

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a zoom H2 from the 90’s which is probably a similar mic. You can connect to your video camera or phone to it for high level sound for a cheaper option.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Buyers remorse and it hasn't got here yet. I can return it no problem. I'm just wondering:

I have a DSLR (mirror less). An older one but it does have a USB 2.0 out and it does 1080i60 (I think the sensor only does 30fps.. not sure why bother).

At home I already have mics or modeler for everything, and a mixer... I already have good sound available on tap. About the only thing the camera gets me is a small side angle I can put on a stand to record performances. IOW, it still provides value but.. I wonder if a better use of my money is a wide angle m-4/3 lens with as big an aperture as I can afford

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
This is mostly guitar/singing and about 1/4 drum related

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Ixnay on the enslay. The Micro 4/3 camera I have already has a 14-42 lens - and that's not that wide. I can't get wider than a 12mm until I get a fisheye and that's looking around $420 and f/3.5 used. I do have a manual focus fisheye in Pentax K-mount but my old K100D doesn't do video. Looking around $300-400 for a modern enough K-mount body to do video to PC... So I'm gonna give the Zoom a shake.

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Consider the Zoom Q2n-4K a solid audio recorder with decent video (and webcam mode), and you won't be disappointed. My Canon Rebel T7i DSLR, my Canon Vixia HD camcorder, and my smartphone all shoot better quality video than the Zoom (especially in low light), but the mics on the Q2n-4K are MUCH better, and combined with input gain control, it just does a much better job with audio. Its video features make it very convenient for shooting music related content in different lighting situations and with different looks (black and white, sepia, etc). It's really an all-in-one solution for decent quality video with pretty good audio. Shoot, upload, done. Saves you the step of syncing video to audio, and then rendering a new file.

The Zoom serves my purposes quite well:
  • Live Streaming Lessons/Zoom Meetings (Webcam Mode): Positioned over the shoulder for drums and piano; straight on for guitar/bass lessons and Zoom meetings - much better audio and control than a consumer webcam.
  • Shooting Live Music: I most commonly shoot "drum cam" video on gigs, later marrying to multi-track audio from my QSC Touchmix 30 or Behringer XR18. My main bands use IEM and don't have any amps or monitors on stage, so the sound recorded by the camera is really weird.
  • Recording lesson material; When shooting multiple angles, the Zoom is my 3rd string camera, behind my DSLR and my HD Camcorder. For multi-cam shoots, I record 10-12 tracks of drums into my PC, and sync everything in my video editor.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you said you have mics and a mixer already, and you've got good sound covered. I think that's a little bit different than what you get with a recorder like this. Once you've close mic'd, mixed and EQ'd it, you're doing something else. What these recorders give you is the truth. In the context of lessons and critical listening, that's what you want.

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know you said you have mics and a mixer already, and you've got good sound covered. I think that's a little bit different than what you get with a recorder like this. Once you've close mic'd, mixed and EQ'd it, you're doing something else. What these recorders give you is the truth. In the context of lessons and critical listening, that's what you want.

Good point. It really is the truth! My audio and video gear afford me more capability than I even use, but when I can get away with it, I'd rather use the Zoom as a "one stop shop", than recording, mixing and syncing on another device. When "best" quality is necessary, I certainly go through the extra steps, but for ease, decent quality, and a reflection of the truth, the Zoom is the ticket.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Yeah, once I realized my slr path was going to be $400 minimum I stopped thinking about that.

This will cover me nicely for self review and lessons. I initially thought I could get a fast super wide lens for my Lumix for the price of the zoom.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Arrived today. It's nifty. Its revealing. Not only do I suck aurally I'm goofy and, apparently borderline hoarder. Not that that was a total shock but seeing it on camera .. I guess I need a backdrop. Yeah that's the ticket.

Oh yeah - it'd be super nice to have some sort of monitor to see whats in the frame.

mzd

Reaction score
Ixnay on the enslay. The Micro 4/3 camera I have already has a 14-42 lens - and that's not that wide. I can't get wider than a 12mm until I get a fisheye and that's looking around $420 and f/3.5 used. I do have a manual focus fisheye in Pentax K-mount but my old K100D doesn't do video. Looking around $300-400 for a modern enough K-mount body to do video to PC... So I'm gonna give the Zoom a shake.
Looks like a K mount to m43 is around $25 or so. That is one of the advantages of m43 - you can find an adapter for all your old lenses!

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
That might be cool to stick my 300mm on the m4/3 but it doesn't get me a wider lens for cheap because of the sensor size difference

Reactions: mzd