Zoom rehearsals

RockrGrl

Reaction score
I haven't seen any threads about this, and I'm just wondering how people have going about it?

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve been giving Zoom drum lessons since Covid began and it’s really worked out well.
I was expecting an unworkable delay in the sound/video going back and forth but it hasn’t been an issue. I even play along with my student occasionally and it’s just tight enough to be useful (though not perfect).

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine a Zoom recording but maybe I should try. I do know this. Jamulus SUCKS!!!!!!!

Cann_Man28

Reaction score
Soundjack works very well. You have to be within a few hundred miles of each other, but I was able to regularly achieve ~20ms using it to rehearse last year with a trio, we were all within 60 miles of each other. That's approximately how long it takes sound to travel 20 feet. I remember it was fickle to set up, but once I figured out all the settings it definitely worked.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soundjack works very well. You have to be within a few hundred miles of each other, but I was able to regularly achieve ~20ms using it to rehearse last year with a trio, we were all within 60 miles of each other. That's approximately how long it takes sound to travel 20 feet. I remember it was fickle to set up, but once I figured out all the settings it definitely worked.
A writeup of all you did to make this successful would be a great thread.

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
In my experience, the ability of a group to play together in time over the Net is greatly dependent on both the speed of each one's connection and the distance you all are apart. Our quartet tried multiple applications, set up our own Jamulus servers, and generally fought hardware and software for weeks. The bassist and I managed to have a few good sessions without the other two, who struggled with connections and hardware. So we never had a useful rehearsal.

Chris, the bassist, and I did have some interesting interactions with other players who sometimes dropped in, but nothing worth pursuing.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks folks!!!
Now I know what to do if things get “draggy” tempo wise......I’ll just blame it on Zoom and say I have a crappy connection.....

Disclaimer....I’ve never been on Zoom and have zero interest. My partner, on the other hand, has many Zoom meetings, however that’s part of her work with Arts organizations et al. I can see how Zoom can be used in very good and productive ways, but still no thanks and have turned down offers of Zoom sessions.
bt