Zoomatic alternative(s)?

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Dunnett bolt pattern is vertical but adjustable within a range of (I think) 3/4" to 1 1/4" (check this to be sure, Because I am not).

A shop-made adapter plate would have to be tapped on the "Slingerland side", and countersunk on the aftermarket strainer side: basically drill four holes; two horizontal and two vertical, the former are tapped and the latter are just countersunk holes. The intent is for a plate the fits flush against the shell. One way have to first try this with a wood mock up.

This is starting to sound like a lot of work just to save thirty clams, but we cheap-azz bisterds are a stubborn lot.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
With the RCK throw, it would be about $65 saved. Enough to buy a no fuss p-86 and a drum head for my Ludwig snares.

However, that keeps me at the borderline between wanting to get something that will work out of the box, versus time invested learning a new skill that I might only use once. Or, farming it out to someone who can do it, which would cost extra.

I'll probably just get the fugly Trick unless a better alternative shows up.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
You can make the adapter plate out of clear plexi in a few minutes. Easier than aluminum to deal with. Get a small piece of 1/8" thick or so clear plexi at home depot. Cut a square or rectangle wide enough to cover the two horizontal zoomatic holes and tall enough to cover the vertical holes of the new strainer. Drill it for all four holes. Attach the new strainer to the plate with the supplied screws. Get a couple nylon spacers or washers (like 1/4 diameter or so. Attach the plate to the drum using the two horizontal holes with the two spacers between plate and the drum. Voila! Done. No countersinking or special tools needed and it costs maybe three bucks for the plexi (usually just a scrap), two machine screws with nuts and washers and two cheap washers you propably already have.

Jim Hodgson

Advanced Forum Guru
Reaction score
Cauldronics said:
I love the Trick strainer so much -- and have one lying around not being used -- that I just e-mailed this guy and asked him to sell me the adapter plate separately. (There doesn't seem to be that option on his website.) I've always wanted one of the deep COB Sound Kings but the Zoomatic has kept me from picking one up.

The Trick strainer is such a beautiful piece of engineering IMO. To each his own, huh?!?

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rich K. said:
You can make the adapter plate out of clear plexi in a few minutes. Easier than aluminum to deal with. Get a small piece of 1/8" thick or so clear plexi at home depot. Cut a square or rectangle wide enough to cover the two horizontal zoomatic holes and tall enough to cover the vertical holes of the new strainer. Drill it for all four holes. Attach the new strainer to the plate with the supplied screws. Get a couple nylon spacers or washers (like 1/4 diameter or so. Attach the plate to the drum using the two horizontal holes with the two spacers between plate and the drum. Voila! Done. No countersinking or special tools needed and it costs maybe three bucks for the plexi (usually just a scrap), two machine screws with nuts and washers and two cheap washers you propably already have.
Good suggestion to forgo the tapping and counter-sinking, though the latter may still be necessary depending on how the replacement throw mounts to the shell (i.e. two screws that are secured with nuts from the inside of the shell, or two screws go from inside the shell into tapped holes on the shell), and the style of hardware (flat head vs. round head).

Plexi is also a good option, however, cutting it requires a special blade. Standard wood-cutting blades can shatter the material. I would use a jig saw with the appropriate blade.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cauldronics said:
If Trick would sell just their adaptor it would work with the RCK.
Buy the Trick, keep the plate, sell the throw, and get the RCK...that's probably the way I would go if I didn't want to make a plate (but then I'm a fool with my money when it comes to drums, I'll spend $50 to save $15 sometimes). Depending on how much I like the RCK on my 4" deep USA Custom (which won't require an adaptor) I might put one on my import 4x14 Slingerland too. I'd probably make my own plate though. I enjoy doing that sort of stuff and the satisfaction of accomplishment. If I made one I could make another at the same time...but not sure when that might be.

I have a Trick on another Gretsch snare (it replaced a Dunnett which had replaced the OEM Nickel) and I do like them a lot. I just think the RCK "fits" the Slingerland better due to the way it functions. The lower price is just another plus.

Another option might be the new Gretsch Micro. Those work great and use three holes to mount, probably not the same spacing though. But they also say "Gretsch" on them so that's a bit of a turn off for use on another brand.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jim Hodgson said:
I love the Trick strainer so much -- and have one lying around not being used -- that I just e-mailed this guy and asked him to sell me the adapter plate separately. (There doesn't seem to be that option on his website.) I've always wanted one of the deep COB Sound Kings but the Zoomatic has kept me from picking one up.

The Trick strainer is such a beautiful piece of engineering IMO. To each his own, huh?!?
Jim,

If he will sell the plate separately, please let us know. That sure would save me a lot of trouble. He would get business either way, just a lot more of it if I get the strainer, too. So, not much to lose.

Jim Hodgson

Advanced Forum Guru
Reaction score
Cauldronics said:

Jim,

If he will sell the plate separately, please let us know. That sure would save me a lot of trouble. He would get business either way, just a lot more of it if I get the strainer, too. So, not much to lose.

Will do. (Still waiting for a return e-mail.)

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
K.O. said:
If Trick would sell just their adaptor it would work with the RCK.
Buy the Trick, keep the plate, sell the throw, and get the RCK...that's probably the way I would go if I didn't want to make a plate (but then I'm a fool with my money when it comes to drums, I'll spend $50 to save $15 sometimes). Depending on how much I like the RCK on my 4" deep USA Custom (which won't require an adaptor) I might put one on my import 4x14 Slingerland too. I'd probably make my own plate though. I enjoy doing that sort of stuff and the satisfaction of accomplishment.
If I had the tools to make one myself, I would. Taking the plate off, attaching it to the RCK and putting the Trick back on the market is a good idea. There would be a small loss of money selling the Trick but probably not much. Or, I might find that the Trick is too cool and keep it (doubtful), even though I don't like how it looks.

I'd like to know if you find the RCK to be a quality piece when it shows up.

Thanks again!

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the suggestions. All the approaches are good and hopefully this will help another frustrated zoomatic owner.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score

Jim,

Will do. (Still waiting for a return e-mail.)
I think one of the drum foundry guys is a member here...but I can't remember his forum name.

Jim Hodgson

Advanced Forum Guru
Reaction score
This just in (regarding the purchase of just an adapter plate -- no strainer):

"$19.95 will get you one to any US postal address! Let me know what you need!"

Mike McCraw
mmccraw@cox.net

Jim Hodgson

Advanced Forum Guru
Reaction score
Jim Hodgson said:
Done and done! Big thanks, Jim!
You got it. ;) Now I've gotta find a Sound King for my own adapter. LOL! Yes, I realize how backasswards that is!
OK ... I just did something even more me than me. After getting the crazy "buy a drum for my cool Trick strainer" idea in my head, I headed over to eBay ... where I couldn't find the deep COB Sound King I wanted. But, then a silver sparkle 1-ply Artist from '66 popped up for 300 bucks. With nothing but love for my decade-older Radio King and nothing but fear for its clamshell strainer, I pulled the trigger on this pretty little Artist with it's soon-to-be-history Zoomatic.

Here's the completed auction link with lotsa pics: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Slingerland-Artist-5-5-x-14-Silver-Sparkle-Snare-1966-/291052234559?ssPageName=ADME:L:COSI:US:1123

And here's the video that sold me on it, actually:

I think this is gonna become my go-to SD. My walking-around-town SD. I've always wanted my go-to to be my Radio King ... but, again, strainer issues.

OK ... gotta get back in touch with this mysterious Mark fella and buy my adapter plate!

Strange days...

Last edited by a moderator:

Drewdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jim Hodgson said:
Done and done! Big thanks, Jim!
You got it. ;) Now I've gotta find a Sound King for my own adapter. LOL! Yes, I realize how backasswards that is!
OK ... I just did something even more me than me. After getting the crazy "buy a drum for my cool Trick strainer" idea in my head, I headed over to eBay ... where I couldn't find the deep COB Sound King I wanted. But, then a silver sparkle 1-ply Artist from '66 popped up for 300 bucks. With nothing but love for my decade-older Radio King and nothing but fear for its clamshell strainer, I pulled the trigger on this pretty little Artist with it's soon-to-be-history Zoomatic.

Here's the completed auction link with lotsa pics: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Slingerland-Artist-5-5-x-14-Silver-Sparkle-Snare-1966-/291052234559?ssPageName=ADME:L:COSI:US:1123

And here's the video that sold me on it, actually:

I think this is gonna become my go-to SD. My walking-around-town SD. I've always wanted my go-to to be my Radio King ... but, again, strainer issues.

OK ... gotta get back in touch with this mysterious Mark fella and buy my adapter plate!

Strange days...

That's a nice drum. I believe it would be a 3 ply though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Hodgson

Advanced Forum Guru
Reaction score
Drewdrum said:
That's a nice drum. I believe it would be a 3 ply though.
How come? I know there's a common perception that the single-plies only lasted a very short time in the early-'60s. Is that what you're going by? Catalogs show them running through the late-'60s -- and being even more expensive than the Radio Kings of the day.

Pics in the auction certainly look like single-ply to me. Very much like my '55 or '56 RK in appearance.

Let me know soon, if you would? Like, before I pay for the thing? ;)

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pictures. It looks like solid maple but then again in a couple of spots I think I see plies. The good thing is the seller definitively states that it is a 1 ply...so if it isn't you can get your money back if you want, Ebay would certainly side with you if it turned out to be a 3 ply shell. Very cool looking drum regardless.

Drewdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The more I look the more I would agree that it looks single ply. I just don't see many from that time period. Sorry!

The interior seam looks to be correct for a 1 ply but it's hard to tell. Wish there were better interior shots.

Jim Hodgson

Advanced Forum Guru
Reaction score
I've gone back to the seller to confirm. Good guy ... he's a Slingerland nut and has Radio Kings, so I would think (hope) he would know his ones from his threes. We shall see.

I know the "Artist" model is a little flip-floppy on the whole ply issue -- especially late in the game. Stupid naming confusion on the part of Slingerland IMO. I don't know why they did that(?) -- i.e., two different drums with the same model name, basically. If anyone knows, I'd love to hear the story...

Latest posts