Zoomatic alternative(s)?

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think it's a three ply drum. Still nice. Usually by '66 the Artists were 3 ply. Also, I don't think I've ever seen a solid '60s shell with a P stamp and / or a date stamp. You can see the plies if you look carefully here:

Attachments

Jim Hodgson

Advanced Forum Guru
Reaction score
What are you guys, psychic? :sign7: (More pics from the seller below at my request based on your suspicions.)

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
That looks like 1 ply with rings. What do I win? :happy11:

Jim, I gotta be honest with you, the zoomatic on that drum appears to function just fine and I wouldn't change a thing unless you find out otherwise, or you aren't keen on waiting for it to go squirrelly.

If my zoomatic worked well and was up to snuff with even my p-85, I wouldn't have considered changing it.

Nice drum btw! Reminds me of my old mismatch silver sparkle club date, Ludwig transition badge kit with a Slingy rack tom and the SoundKing. I still have the SK, but the kit is gone. Wish I had it, too. The bass drum was one of the top 3 I've ever heard.

Attachments

Jim Hodgson

Advanced Forum Guru
Reaction score
Cauldronics said:
That looks like 1 ply with rings. What do I win? :happy11:
Um ... a chance to buy it when the seller re-lists it on eBay?!? (Seller and I just cancelled the transaction.)

IDK, I think these additional pics (which still aren't great) convinced me that the drum is a 3-ply. From outside-in, I think I see a re-ring, a honey-colored maple layer, a pale white poplar layer, and a chocolatey mahogany layer.

I think I'm going to start a thread (maybe a poll ... LOL!) and see what the DFO consensus is.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I received my RCK throw off today (ordered from Drum Foundry through Amazon.com). I'm very happy with the way it looks and functions. It has the same slotted backing setup as the Nickle/Dunnett/Trick that allows the mounting bolts to fit a variety of hole spacings. This is a very nice piece...especially for the price when compared to the cost of other options.

This one will be going onto a 4x14 Gretsch USA Custom (replacing the Dunnett, that replaced the Taye, that replaced the original Nickel) but now I am even more convinced it would work well as a Zoomatic replacement. As I said before, the size, shape, and action somewhat mirrors that of the Zoomatic. It looks to me like one additional hole between the two upper ones on a zoomy would let it mount...but of course using an adaptor plate is the better way to go.

Attachments

Jim Hodgson

Advanced Forum Guru
Reaction score
Looks great!

Question: does some version of the Trick strainer have a slotted back that allows for different spacings? The holes on mine are fixed. It's older, though -- thinking 5 years or so(?)

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Looks great!

Question: does some version of the Trick strainer have a slotted back that allows for different spacings? The holes on mine are fixed. It's older, though -- thinking 5 years or so(?)
I might be confused on that. I know that a Trick and a Nickel have the same spacing and can interchange with no problems...perhaps they aren't slotted after all but simply share the same spacing. I think the Dunnett is slotted for sure (and the RCK).

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
The RCK looks like it could have come from that era or earlier. It has a kind of art deco thing going on which should complement the Slingy's lugs rather well.

I know what I'll be doing on my SoundKing now. Glad to see this thread produce results!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Digging through my drawer-o-throws for verification...yes the Nickelworks has a fixed two hole mounting pattern. The Trick shares this same pattern (I know this because my Trick replaced a Nickel with no modifications required). The Dunnett is slotted to fit various spacings of two holes. Sorry for the mis-information above. It's been a while since I swapped these out and the ol' memory ain't what it used to be.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Oh My Gosh! This thing is seriously awesome.

Looks great on my drum. Not as clunky looking as the Dunnett (which, to be fair, did work just fine) and head over heals better than the original black plastic Nickelworks that Gretsch put on the drum in 2005. I do like the action and feel of the Trick but this was half as much money & looks better on this drum.

I think another one will eventually find its way onto my 4x14 Slingerland with the not so great Zoomatic. I also think the RCK will probably be my "go-to" choice for any other modern drum in need of a new throw.

$44 shipped, when ordered through Amazon, including a snare butt. I think just the throw is $35 from Drum Foundry but their shipping rate comes out higher and it was cheaper (or roughly the same) to get it with the butt included through Amazon.

Attachments

Jim Hodgson

Advanced Forum Guru
Reaction score
K.O. said:
Digging through my drawer-o-throws for verification...yes the Nickelworks has a fixed two hole mounting pattern. The Trick shares this same pattern (I know this because my Trick replaced a Nickel with no modifications required). The Dunnett is slotted to fit various spacings of two holes. Sorry for the mis-information above. It's been a while since I swapped these out and the ol' memory ain't what it used to be.
Thanks! Appreciate your checking that.

And the RCK looks great -- absolutely perfect! -- on that drum!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
And the RCK looks great -- absolutely perfect! -- on that drum!
Thanks! I agree.

One further bit of info. The RCK has slots as well so could fit various spacings within the range of the slots and also a notch in the center to accommodate a bead in a shell if necessary. Despite these two features it doesn't appear it could replace a Ludwig P-85 or similar throw (with relatively wide hole spacing) without the use of some type of adaptor. But Trick, Dunnett, or Nickelworks...no problem.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
6topher said:
it appears as if Gibraltar will have a replacement for the zoomatic this year.

SC-GVSTO

SCGVSTO~hqw.jpg
Although it might work, it's not intended to be used as a Zoomatic replacement. It's a replacement for the 3 point strainers found on a lot of Radio Kings.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ARGuy said:
it appears as if Gibraltar will have a replacement for the zoomatic this year.

SC-GVSTO

SCGVSTO~hqw.jpg
Although it might work, it's not intended to be used as a Zoomatic replacement. It's a replacement for the 3 point strainers found on a lot of Radio Kings.
Ah! I really hope it works for a Zoomatic replacement - I 've never seen the 3 hole pattern done by anyone before.