Zoomatic alternative(s)?

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw that new throw in a Gibraltar flyer I snagged at NAMM yesterday. That looks just like the repro 3 point that Drumsandsome.com had available a while back. That was exclusive to them at the time. If it is the same one then I don't think it's a direct replacement for a vintage 3 point (at least that's what they told me when I asked...I've never compared them directly). Not sure of the current status of D&S.com...maybe Gibraltar picked this up from whomever was making it for them. I used one on a Slingy shell I bought...it might work for the zoomatic...it would be very appropriate in looks if it did (even more so than the RCK)

Attachments

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Saw this thread as I am planning to replace zoomatic on a snare I just purchased. Does anyone know if the dwsnare guy uses his standard mtm adaptor plate for Slingerland or is it different?

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I talked with the guy and he is sending me the adaptor plate for the zoomatic. I also bought that drum foundary throw K.O. Suggested to keep the look somewhat old school. I have an extra Slingerland muffler laying around so this artist 1ply I bought should get a good cleaning, the parts put into place, and be rocking and rolling by the end of next week. Can't wait!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I talked with the guy and he is sending me the adaptor plate for the zoomatic. I also bought that drum foundary throw K.O. Suggested to keep the look somewhat old school. I have an extra Slingerland muffler laying around so this artist 1ply I bought should get a good cleaning, the parts put into place, and be rocking and rolling by the end of next week. Can't wait!
What guy what plate? Can you elaborate a bit. I have a zoomy I need to replace too. When they work they are a cool throw off (as is the Gretsch Micro), but when they don't... :(

I am definitely liking that Drum Foundry unit on my Gretsch.

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
K.O. said:
What guy what plate? Can you elaborate a bit. I have a zoomy I need to replace too. When they work they are a cool throw off (as is the Gretsch Micro), but when they don't... :(

I am definitely liking that Drum Foundry unit on my Gretsch.
Sorry I was referring to the one posted earlier in the thread at dwsnare.com. He sells a trick adaptor kit but also sells the zoomatic plate by itself you just have to ask for it. I bought the drum foundary strainer to use. I hate the zoomatic. The trick's hole spacing falls into the adjustable range of the RCk strainer so I think I should be good

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought the gentleman's adapter & a RCK strainer for a 3 ply artist that is part of a Slingy '69 blue agate kit I am restoring-

I don't know how it attaches to a trick strainer, but I widened & deepened a bit where he has a counter sink area on the back to receive a lock nut & cut down one of the bolts that came with the RCK -

zoomadapt.jpg

after this pic was taken I hand filed the end of the lock nut (it still stuck out a hair) flush with the plate so I won't need a spacer.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool, I need to get one of those plates for my 4x14 Slingy that the zoomatic doesn't seem to function right. If the snares are loose enough to drop away from the head they sound like crap, if they are tight enough against the bottom head to sound good they don't disengage from the head all the way. I've messed around with it for hours with no improvement. I have two other Zoomy equipped drums and they work just fine. Not sure what the problem is with the one drum....but I know that RCK would work great on it.

lazer

DFO Master
Reaction score
K.O. said:
Cool, I need to get one of those plates for my 4x14 Slingy that the zoomatic doesn't seem to function right. If the snares are loose enough to drop away from the head they sound like crap, if they are tight enough against the bottom head to sound good they don't disengage from the head all the way. I've messed around with it for hours with no improvement. I have two other Zoomy equipped drums and they work just fine. Not sure what the problem is with the one drum....but I know that RCK would work great on it.
did you try the elastic band from the knob to lug method?

my zoomy slips after a set of rock backbeats

fugly but it works

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thought I'd update. For awhile now, I've had the RCK throw attached to the Trick plate on my drum, but I'm guessing Soundking shells don't have the same home pattern as other Slingerland snares that use the Zoomatic throw. There's only one hole for the throw to hold onto the shell while the other two are attached to the plate. This means the whole throw turns on the shell when the tension knob is tightened or the throw is operated. Far from ideal.

I expected that all Zoomatic equipped snares fit the piece the same way but it looks like I'm wrong. On the + side, I'd never heard this snare with a well-functioning strainer until now and it sounds even better than it did before. There is a wide range of dialing in that can be achieved even with this turning RCK, and the snare is one of my top 5. I just straighten out the RCK to dial it in and keep it in place with two hands when adjusting tension or using the throw.

I'm not against drilling another hole right where I now see a chrome wall through the other hole in the RCK. This SK is not in perfect shape anyway, and I doubt another hole would change the sound in a noticeable way.

Am I the only one who's tried this setup on a SK?

Attachments

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jim Hodgson said:
Done and done! Big thanks, Jim!
You got it. ;) Now I've gotta find a Sound King for my own adapter. LOL! Yes, I realize how backasswards that is!
I have a 5x14 (maybe 5.5 i dunno) 8 lug COB with no lugs.. might have a tone control, and I have the hoops. Id sell it if youre interested

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cauldronics said:
Thought I'd update. For awhile now, I've had the RCK throw attached to the Trick plate on my drum, but I'm guessing Soundking shells don't have the same home pattern as other Slingerland snares that use the Zoomatic throw. There's only one hole for the throw to hold onto the shell while the other two are attached to the plate. This means the whole throw turns on the shell when the tension knob is tightened or the throw is operated. Far from ideal.

I expected that all Zoomatic equipped snares fit the piece the same way but it looks like I'm wrong. On the + side, I'd never heard this snare with a well-functioning strainer until now and it sounds even better than it did before. There is a wide range of dialing in that can be achieved even with this turning RCK, and the snare is one of my top 5. I just straighten out the RCK to dial it in and keep it in place with two hands when adjusting tension or using the throw.

I'm not against drilling another hole right where I now see a chrome wall through the other hole in the RCK. This SK is not in perfect shape anyway, and I doubt another hole would change the sound in a noticeable way.

Am I the only one who's tried this setup on a SK?
All the Zoomatic hole patterns are the same - look at my picture above to see how I made the plate work with the RCK.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't see how the added lock nut keeps the RCK in place. If you have a pic of it on the drum, inside and out, it might make sense. It would be easy enough to borrow a drill and get the proper bit if this works. Thanks.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
there are 4 holes on the plate - the bottom one allows the bolt to go all the way through the the plate & the drum - the other center hole (in between the 2 small holes) is to attach the plate to the throw as the 2nd point so it doesn't rotate as in your pic. it comes as a small counter sunk hole for the trick throw. To make it work with the RCK i had to deepen & widen the hole (but not too much as to maintain strength) - cut the 2nd RCK bolt down so it didn't emerge past the plate & attached the lock nut.

that's where is is in the picture above. the plate is on the throw securely.

Then you attach the bottom bolt through the original hole & attach the top of the plate through the 2 upper original holes.

...or at least that is my basement fat albert style fix for it. Hope that makes sense.

Rich, I did the spring trick on my sound king a few years ago & it was marginally better, but not so much that I felt comfortable with it as a frequent gigger.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
6topher said:
there are 4 holes on the plate - the bottom one allows the bolt to go all the way through the the plate & the drum - the other center hole (in between the 2 small holes) is to attach the plate to the throw as the 2nd point so it doesn't rotate as in your pic. it comes as a small counter sunk hole for the trick throw. To make it work with the RCK i had to deepen & widen the hole (but not too much as to maintain strength) - cut the 2nd RCK bolt down so it didn't emerge past the plate & attached the lock nut.

Then you attach the bottom bolt through the original hole & attach the top of the plate through the 2 upper original holes.

...or at least that is my basement fat albert style fix for it. Hope that makes sense.

Rich, I did the spring trick on my sound king a few years ago & it was marginally better, but not so much that I felt comfortable with it as a frequent gigger.
I never played mine out...it was on a 4x14 buddy rich snare that looks cool but doesn't sound so great.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
6topher said:

I'll take another look at it tonight with everything in front of me instead of imagining it over the internet. With the explanation above it should make sense.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, I've lost the one of the 2 bolts that came with the RCK. Looking at the assembly shows that what you did would work. I'm going to search once more and then take the other bolt to the hardware store to see if they have it or know what it is.

Latest posts