Zoomatic doesn't fully disengage

bjisteve

Reaction score
I just picked up a mid-60's Slingerland kit. The strainer on the snare doesn't disengage the snares completely. I have to move the lever and then turn the knob to get the snares all the way off. Is there a fix for this? Do I need a new strainer?
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

bjisteve

Reaction score
I found some old threads about this. Probably my best bet is to replace it. Looks like there is an adapter plate available for the Trick throw-off. Are there other options? Is there something similar for the Dunnett?
Thx.

bjisteve

Reaction score
I looked at that. I don't think that's the issue - I don't feel any slack in the strainer when it's disengaged. Pushing it out doesn't disengage the snares any further. It looks to me like the strainer is working as itr should - it just doesn't do the job.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've had, and still have, lots of Slingerland snares with the Zoomatic strainer. Never had one that didn't fully drop the wires. My educated guess is that yours is not set up properly. One of the biggest issues is that, as the snare wire string or tape stretches, people tend to tighten up the strainer knob beyond what it was designed for. If the top of your Zoomatic is too close to the shell to get the wire tension you need, then it is not adjusted correctly! This can lead to mechanical failure and not dropping the wires completely. Follow the link above for repair, if needed. You just need to have a small bit of mechanical aptitude to figure out how it works. Hopefully, your Zoomatic is still in good mechanical condition. The only way to know is to remove it and do a full inspection. You may have already noticed that the threaded knob is reverse-threaded!

-Mark

bjisteve

Reaction score
I adjusted the strings and that helps - mostly. There's a point that I can tighten the snares beyond that they don't disengage completely, but I can get mostly to where I want and have them disengage. Finicky little bastard.

Thanks for the help.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
bjisteve said:
I adjusted the strings and that helps - mostly. There's a point that I can tighten the snares beyond that they don't disengage completely, but I can get mostly to where I want and have them disengage. Finicky little bastard.

Thanks for the help.
Yes, they are finicky! It also helps if you have one that wasn't abused! Here's a picture of my custom-built BR-style Slingerland snare drum that goes with my 1967 kit. The back plate of the Zoomatic was cut out on these, to clear the top hoop. Not much room for tension adjustment with this version! Unless set up properly, I can get that same issue where the wires won't fully drop. Right now, it's working perfectly! Also, as pictured, I'm using filament tape strips which don't stretch too much.

-Mark

Attachments