Zoomatic picks

slingerland 59 R/K snare

Reaction score
Hi I have a 70`s vintage Slingerland steel snare. I bought on the cheep side because it goes with my 50N kit that I have. But I think there is some missing parts on the adjuster. When I got this the adjuster was hitting the bottom of the rim. I am getting some weird over tones with this drum. You have to hit only in the middle of the head. I am used to these steel drums but not have heard this before . All new parts = heads and wires. So any picks of the inside of the adjuster and how the adjuster mounts to the drum would be helpful . Thanks in advance.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What I did was put a spring between the dummy washer and the outside of the shell. It helped tremendously. When I received mine a month ago or so, the Zoomatic was in pieces, dangling from the drum. I've never used one or torn one apart so I was clueless as to how to put it together. I did a little research online and read that putting a spring in there is a great fix. That's what I did and have had no troubles at all. If needed I could provide some pictures in a bit. Mines a '68 though. I'm not sure how much it changed from that era to the 70s, or if it changed at all.

Last edited:

slingerland 59 R/K snare

Reaction score
What I did was put a spring between the dummy washer and the outside of the shell. It helped tremendously. When I received mine a month ago or so, the Zoomatic was in pieces, dangling from the drum. I've never used one or torn one apart so I was clueless as to how to put it together. I did a little research online and read that putting a spring in there is a great fix. That's what I did and have had no troubles at all. If needed I could provide some pictures in a bit. Mines a '68 though. I'm not sure how much it changed from that era to the 70s, or if it changed at all.
Thanks for your reply. That is what I did also saw on the web to do this . I used a 3/4"long by1/2" wide soft spring between the washer and the inside adjuster. Also Precise tuning with a soft mallet WOW :::::::;;;; it is snare drum again. I belive the tuning knob may be different?

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. That is what I did also saw on the web to do this . I used a 3/4"long by1/2" wide soft spring between the washer and the inside adjuster. Also Precise tuning with a soft mallet WOW :::::::;;;; it is snare drum again. I belive the tuning knob may be different?
Glad you got it straightened out. Enjoy

Latest posts