Zoomatic slipping

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I have an early 60s Slingerland Artist that I've been playing a lot, but the snares keep loosening. I hadn't noticed this before and wondered if this was common and if there was a remedy. It has the original snares with the metal tab on one end, the other end I have Ludwig snare cord.

Thanks!

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you look, many zoomatic had a piece of cork behind the knob that eventually wears away or falls off. (Typical Slingerland cheap fix..) I imagine that if you wound a rubber band behind the knob to create friction, it would do the trick.

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used the spring trick years ago and it seemed to work. I sold the snare....

tillerva

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I remember reading that article sometime ago but never thought anymore about it. Just put the spring on there and we'll see how it goes! I guess my Sound King will be next.

Slingerland3ply

Reaction score
tillerva said:
I have an early 60s Slingerland Artist that I've been playing a lot, but the snares keep loosening. I hadn't noticed this before and wondered if this was common and if there was a remedy. It has the original snares with the metal tab on one end, the other end I have Ludwig snare cord.

Thanks!
http://vintagedrumgu...ner_repair.html

Hi tillerva : I own 3 zoomatics . none have needed the spring fix yet! If the compression washer has not slipped (the strainer still moves in and out when turning the knob) then you just need to put something like a rubber band behind the tan rubber insert on the knob and you are done.

tillerva

Reaction score
Hmm, yes, i put the spring in already but the strainer did already work mostly, just would loosen over time. Maybe that will be all that I'll do to the Sound King, if anything.

tillerva

Reaction score
Took it out for I think it's first show last, and the spring trick worked like a charm. We actually played in this pool hall/bar, that was a pretty long room. That drum sounded like it was in Shea Stadium or something. I thought the rim would sound awful and be too loud, but everyone said we sounded great.