Zoomatic woes...help please

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I recently bought a Slingerland 4x14 "Buddy Rich" style snare with a zoomatic throw off on it. It's a HSS era drum from the mid 1990's (apparently just before the sell out to Gibson). It's an imported drum but nice looking (black lacquer that matches my recently peeled Gretsch 57 "bop" sized set) and everything on it seems good except for the throw-off functionality.

If I get the snares adjusted tight enough to sound good then they don't disengage from the bottom head when I drop the throw. If I loosen them up enough to get them to drop when I disengage the throw-off then they are too loose in the up position. The throw-off does seem to be working as designed, the clamp for the snares drops about a half inch when you pull the lever back. The (bought on ebay) drum was doing this as received out of the box but I didn't complain to the seller because I figured it was just a matter of a simple adjustment. But after a week of fiddling I'm not getting very far.

I've tried several different things, The drum came with grosgrain ribbon I switched from mylar straps and then to Ludwig snare cord (and back again) with nothing really gained ( cord on the throw side and a strap on the butt side seems to work the best so far). I don't know if something is messed up with the throw or if it's due to the 4" depth of the drum or what's going on. I have another 4x14 drum that is the same model also with a zoomatic. That one is a later Nashville drum and it works just fine. I've tried to duplicate the way it is set up but to no avail so far.

I can get the drum sounding okay but then can't easily turn off the snares, which I do need to do on a couple of the songs my group plays. Equally distressing is the fact that the whole reason I bought this snare in the first place was because my black lacquer 4x14 RB Progressive Jazz Gretsch has a screwed up micro (snares won't drop unless you back off the tension knob) so I thought I'd get this snare to use instead of that one, but it has essentially the same problem (give me a P-85 any day).

Any pointers from veteran Zoomatic users would be appreciated.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll have to look into that. I haven't gone as far as to tear it apart as yet but it may come to that. I think on mine there is already a spring inside but perhaps it's not doing its job right.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
K.O. said:
Thanks, I'll have to look into that. I haven't gone as far as to tear it apart as yet but it may come to that. I think on mine there is already a spring inside but perhaps it's not doing its job right.
The whole "fix" can be done in less than a minute. Remove two screws, place small spring on rod, replace the screws.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just an update. Tonight I finally got around to pulling it off and checking the insides, but there wasn't anything obviously wrong that I could see. It had a spring already in place (factory I assume) over the threaded shaft. These later Zoomatics seem to have some of the bugs worked out. The knob in pinned to the threaded shaft so it can't break off like some of the older friction fit ones did (or at least not break easily). Besides already having the spring this one doesn't have that tab to prevent overtightening it.

Anyway, I put it back together, fiddled with it for another hour and I think I've finally got it to a workable setting...or least a lot closer. I think I'll get some new snares as that may play a part in the problem...maybe a 42 strand unit (Tama).

Thanks for the help!

here's the drum in question....

Attachments

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but...

I'm having the same problem as K.O..
Mine is a '74-ish COB, 5x14, with an idiot tab and 20 strand wire.

Like the OP I can get close, but playing above a certain volume causes the disengaged snares to rattle against the reso head.
Also, when disengaged there is not enough room to (safely) get a stick under the wires in order to get them off the head for tuning.

The strainer looks good to me and seems to function as it should. I have not tried the spring trick, but I honestly don't see how
doing so would solve the problem.

I've been setting up snares for 40 years, but this is the first time I've worked with a Zoomatic strainer.

What am I doing wrong?

Would the extended wires (see post #12 of the following thread) solve the problem?

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/108015-slingerland-krupa-cobproper-snare-installation/

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
In my case I ended up putting a different throw-off on the drum (using an adaptor plate so there were no new holes required). Works fine now.

Weird because I have three other drums with Zoomatics and those all work perfectly.

lazer

DFO Master
Reaction score
i have the same problem w my 10 lug cob 6.5 slingy

disengaged wires still rattling

a heavier/higher count wire assembly does give more weight and keeps the wires down a bit

Latest posts