zyn cymbals.

nanonoize

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any info about zyn cymbals ,made in england ?????

Reaction score
I googled a bit for ya:
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?59621-zyn-cymbals
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=1810http://www.cymbalholic.com/forums/showthread.php?11945-Mystery-Zyn-cool-cymbal-but-what-s-the-alloy
http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/20649-zyn-cymbals-made-in-england/

bzzfkt

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i passed on an 18" recently. it was only $60... still kickin myself on that one. it was sweet.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
i did read here that ringo played one early on as well. seems like ko has one as well...

mike

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've got an 18" Zyn "Sizzle" with rivets...and I'm fairly certain Ringo did too, at least up through the filming of AHDN in 1964. Zyns have a different profile than Zildjian's and Ringo's riveted cymbal fits that profile. Also Zyn's were made in England and sold by Premier so that fits with Ringo's buying profile in the early days.

I wish I could say it's a great sounding pie but I'm not overly thrilled with the sound of the one I have. I'm sure like most cymbals from that era there were good ones and not so good ones (this applies to Zildjians, A & K as well).

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
The story behind Zyn was that during WWII Italian POWs' were put to work in war production. Some of them had cymbal-making experience, and so after the war they worked making cymbals prior to being finally repatriated to Italy (at the end of war it took up to two or more years before all German and Italian POW's were finally repatriated to their respective countries). Some of these Italians were allowed to stay in England, particularly those with skills (like cymbal-makers)that could help with the recovery of the post-war British economy.

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score
I have owned some Zyns that were very thin and they sounded trashy. I did not care for them and had a difficult time selling them.
That is an interesting story about their WWII history!

GiantBeater

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got an 18" Zyn "Sizzle" with rivets...and I'm fairly certain Ringo did too, at least up through the filming of AHDN in 1964. Zyns have a different profile than Zildjian's and Ringo's riveted cymbal fits that profile. Also Zyn's were made in England and sold by Premier so that fits with Ringo's buying profile in the early days.

I wish I could say it's a great sounding pie but I'm not overly thrilled with the sound of the one I have. I'm sure like most cymbals from that era there were good ones and not so good ones (this applies to Zildjians, A & K as well).
very cool pic. are the other two yours? are they both zyns besides ringos?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score

I probably should have explained that...the top cymbal is a Zildjian...the bottom is a Zyn...the one in the middle (and the rest of the picture) is a frame capture from "A Hard Day's Night" You can see the odd "UFO" profile (Klaatu Barada Nikto) of Ringo's cymbal and how it much more closely matches that of my Zyn than it does the Zildjian. It's obvious that it was definitely not a Zildjian and being an English made Zyn (sold by Premier) is a very likely suspect for what it could be...the profile match nails it down...at least in my opinion.

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score

I probably should have explained that...the top cymbal is a Zildjian...the bottom is a Zyn...the one in the middle (and the rest of the picture) is a frame capture from "A Hard Day's Night" You can see the odd "UFO" profile (Klaatu Barada Nikto) of Ringo's cymbal and how it much more closely matches that of my Zyn than it does the Zildjian. It's obvious that it was definitely not a Zildjian and being an English made Zyn (sold by Premier) is a very likely suspect for what it could be...the profile match nails it down...at least in my opinion.
K.O., you're always mentioning how you think Ringo's playin' a Zyn--I can totally see it. Kinda cool-looking cymbals...marko

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
thanks for sharing it with us,we appreciate it very much ,you are so kindly,we will go on look your post ,welcome more new information from you ,thanks again.

You're welcome...but you seem oddly insincere...so....what kind of sticks do you use?

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
My first ride was a Zyn. I soon got Avedis as replacements but kept the Zyn for several years afterward--It "hung" with the Avedis Zildians well.

Bart grom Poland

Reaction score
Hey people, i bought zyn hi hat ,it did not came to me yet, maybe tomorrow they will arrive, i hope its not a mistake,i do like nickelsilver sound,i have one krut 22 inch ride and old carlton drums, if i put zyn hi hat to this drumkit will it sounds uniqe?

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 5 star Super Zyn are really nice cymbals that Premier distributed in the 70’s . Not sure where they were manufactured , probably UFIP I would think .

Bart grom Poland

Reaction score
So anybody tell me why? That they not from one set i know, but what should i know about it?