Zyn

mitch1967

Reaction score

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
Well, all the Zyns I've ever had were hats or crashes and they sounded like crap. And they seldom bring more that $25 apiece. But I've never had a Super Zyn. They appear to be heftier than the regular Zyns.

A local pawnshop has a 20" Zyn ride which appears to be hand-hammered and to me it actually sounds quite good. I'm tempted to get it and try it at a jazz gig.

mitch1967

Reaction score
True, I bet the hats sound like rubbish. I might discard the hi hats and go after the super zyn's...

griftone

Reaction score
You know, I love the damn things. They're junky for sure--wouldn't play a whole set of them, but I've got an 18 with rivets and I use it in the studio all the time. I've also got some hats that are...interesting. I dig em. They're dark and weird.

myspace.co/griftco

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
NOT all Zyn's were crap.. there were a series "5 Star Super Zyn" which were excellent.. I believe they had 3 ranges "Zyn" 2 Star Zyn" and the above mentioned "higher end" I had a 15" Crash and 20" Ride of the 5 star range which I recieved with a set 20+ yrs ago..Old, but they sounded great and were in Brilliant Finish!!! :)
The later ones "Zyn" by Premier were Shite!!!! :(

kerope

DFO Master
Reaction score
That reminds me, I had a 14" Krut with my first kit, a Beverley 20/12/16 with Olympic snare.

I had a pair of 12" (I think) Zyn hats (rubbish) and this 14" Krut which had a serious identity crisis, it couldn't decide whether it was a splash cymbal, crash cymbal or ride cymbal. In fact it sounded more like the worst china cymbal you could imagine.

I really thought I had stepped up when I bought a new 20" Ajax ride and a couple of Zilco or Zilket 18" crashes.

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
Al, I had a Krut Crash and it was horrendous!! absolute rubbish. I got a Zanki 18" Ride for Christmas one year and I put it up next to the Krut.. The Zanki was a beautiful sounding Cymbal by any standards, I do believe its still in my Mums loft. :eek:
I will have to have a look up there as there are a few forgotten treasures.

D

drumaholic

gezz said:
NOT all Zyn's were crap.. there were a series "5 Star Super Zyn" which were excellent.. I believe they had 3 ranges "Zyn" 2 Star Zyn" and the above mentioned "higher end" I had a 15" Crash and 20" Ride of the 5 star range which I recieved with a set 20+ yrs ago..Old, but they sounded great and were in Brilliant Finish!!! :)
The later ones "Zyn" by Premier were Shite!!!! :(
I agree the later ones sucked but at least some of the Super Zyn were good.

There's a big difference between the Zyn and the Super Zyn though.

Zyn are nickel-silver alloy, and Super Zyn are B-20.

D

drumaholic

kerope said:
Gezz

There are some that think Krut are the bees knees - can't see it myself! :?
You're right, it's hard to fathom the Krut fascination.

They sound just like their name implies…like Krud.

And Zyns were essentially just Kruts anyway.

Made by the same people, out of the same alloy, but just with different trademark names...that's all. And both of them had that same famous Kruddy sound too.

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
Zyn are nostalgia to me, I honestly remember the Super Zyn's to be good sounding Cymbals.. only a few lucky Guys had them, everyone had Krut's though.
I had Ajax 14" Hats also which were laughable.. they were bent, totally warped and dented but I must have played them for 3 years till my dad bought me a pair of Paiste 5o5's..
My friend had a pair of New Beats and I used to dream of owning a pair.. Those 5o5 hats though done me for another 5 or 6 years after that though, but I still had that Krut crash and my Zanki Ride
those were fun days :)

jrfrond

DFO Master
Reaction score
The 5-Star Zyn's were decent-sounding cymbals. Recently on eBay, a guy in the UK had a whole set for sale. Almost pulled the trigger. I need some 5-Star Zyn's to keep my other European sleeper cymbals company! :lol:

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
i have a pair of zyn 12 in. hihat cymbals ,still in exellent shape. had these since i was 13.

D

drumaholic

gezz said:
Zyn are nostalgia to me, I honestly remember the Super Zyn's to be good sounding Cymbals.. only a few lucky Guys had them, everyone had Krut's though.
I had Ajax 14" Hats also which were laughable.. they were bent, totally warped and dented but I must have played them for 3 years till my dad bought me a pair of Paiste 5o5's..
My friend had a pair of New Beats and I used to dream of owning a pair.. Those 5o5 hats though done me for another 5 or 6 years after that though, but I still had that Krut crash and my Zanki Ride
those were fun days :)
Yes some of them were quite good. I've heard a few form back in the day, and I even own a couple myself:

One is a pair of 14" hi-hats that sound somewhere in-between a pair of old vintage A's and old K's. And then there's a very early 20" that's quite thin and dark. In fact I've played the 20" right along with my old K's and its the only foreign cymbal that I could ever do that with.

I know a drummer who's a straight up old K man who was on European tour and just happened to be in Scotland of all places. He met another drummer while he was there who just happened to have his old Super Zyns with him. He said: "So you like dark cymbals? Why don't you give these a listen, and see what you think. I think you'll like them"

And the report that I got on them was that they sounded quite good even to his jaded ears.

And yet I've heard other European drummers talk down about them. I think the problem with them was that they ran hot or cold. To get something really good, you really just had to find the right ones .

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I believe a certain Mr. Starkey used Zyn's during the early years of the Beatles. He used an 18" Zyn Sizzle model up through the filming of AHDN. I have one of these though and it sounds like crap :(

I seem to recall reading somewhere that some Turkish or Italian cymbal artisans that had emigrated to the U.K. were responsible for making the Super Zyn line.

D

drumaholic

K.O. said:
I believe a certain Mr. Starkey used Zyn's during the early years of the Beatles. He used an 18" Zyn Sizzle model up through the filming of AHDN. I have one of these though and it sounds like crap :(

I seem to recall reading somewhere that some Turkish or Italian cymbal artisans that had emigrated to the U.K. were responsible for making the Super Zyn line.
Actually that's pretty close. You probably won't believe this because I had a problem with it myself when I first heard it, but they were actually made by Italian POW's that were in England after the war. This came from a very good source in Engalnd who got directly from the "Father of Premier" himsef.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
thats an amazing and very interesting peice of information.wow.

mike

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
All this Zyn talk has me thinking about grabbing that 20" ride from the pawnshop. Hmmm.

Latest posts