Zyn

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
poot said:
All this Zyn talk has me thinking about grabbing that 20" ride from the pawnshop. Hmmm.
poot-let us know if ya do. would love some feedback on that one.

mike

mitch1967

Reaction score
mlayton said:
poot said:
All this Zyn talk has me thinking about grabbing that 20" ride from the pawnshop. Hmmm.
poot-let us know if ya do. would love some feedback on that one.

mike
Yes I would like to know as well. I am also keen on hearing the Super Zyn line. Seeing if they are worth a dable at.

Also this may have already been covered, but did Moon use Zyn's, as being a big endorsor of Premier? Or did he use Zildjians?

O and if you have any way of recording the Zyn, mlayton, and posting it up, that would be awsome!

-Conrad

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
mitch
was that you that won it? i was gonna bid on it if you werent but forgot to get with you on it first. so i didnt bid. then yesterday i stopped by the pawn shop and found three oldies kinda buried in the stack and put all three of them on layaway. :D

mike

mitch1967

Reaction score
mlayton said:
mitch
was that you that won it? i was gonna bid on it if you werent but forgot to get with you on it first. so i didnt bid. then yesterday i stopped by the pawn shop and found three oldies kinda buried in the stack and put all three of them on layaway. :D

mike
No mike, I didnt bid on that one. I personally didnt think that one looked to great, and would have sounded to great either. It was not a Super Zyn, and if I was going to get a Zyn, I would only get a Super series.

Im sorry about the pawn shop, maybe the guys will bring them out some time.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
thats a good lookin liitle pie....wonder if she sounds as sweet......

mike

kerope

DFO Master
Reaction score
mitch wrote:

But actually Mike, this is going on in England.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...BayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=016

Dont for sure, if overseas bidders are welcomed...but I can remember the seller saying that they are not.

Someone could probably turn this into a Ginger Baker hi hat....heh
mitch1967
Forum Member

Private messageMSNM/WLM
Only four hours to go, and that is a crazy (good) price for that cymbal. Personally, I wouldn't go near a Zyn, but the Supers and 5 star Supers were much, much nicer!

mitch1967

Reaction score
kerope said:
mitch wrote:

But actually Mike, this is going on in England.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...BayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=016

Dont for sure, if overseas bidders are welcomed...but I can remember the seller saying that they are not.

Someone could probably turn this into a Ginger Baker hi hat....heh
Only four hours to go, and that is a crazy (good) price for that cymbal. Personally, I wouldn't go near a Zyn, but the Supers and 5 star Supers were much, much nicer!
Kerope, was that you who won it?

kerope

DFO Master
Reaction score
No Mitch it wasn't, I wasn't bidding on it.

I have way too many Zildjian EAKS (or maybe, not) they are my weakness!!!

IMitch, if you or any of you guys here need any help in obtaining old UK cymbals, I am happy to help out in any way I can. Let me know.

sammypenn

Reaction score
In the film the Colditz story the Germans every day ask the prisoners is there anyone willing to work for them,one day a frenchman steps forward and says he would rather work for 10 Germans than one Frenchman,when the booing dies down the very pleased Germans ask him what his job was before the war,and he says he was an Undertaker.
It was a bit like that here,the government after the war asked the Italian P.O.W.s if they would like to stay and work in England and follow there old trades,lots did stay.[ there was a camp in the town where I live,there are still a few Italians in the town who have been here ever since.].
A group of cymbal makers went to work at Premier and set up the cymbal plant.The cymbals were called Zyn to sound Turkish[crut is Turc backwards].but made in the Italian way.
There were two ranges, the standard Zyn which was stamped standard quality,and the super stamped super,although they did vary quite a lot there are some very nice early style[30s/40s]sounding cymbals amongst them.
I have about 10 of these standards and just one Super of these early zyns.the super is a thin 16"crash which plays and sounds very like a 30s K,a beauty.To my ears the Zyns never sounded any good after the 50s,[even the 5 star supers] when Premier stopped making the Italian inspired Cymbals.Dion :occasion5:

mitch1967

Reaction score

tboyd

Reaction score
Wow, I completely forgot that I had one of these until I saw this post. I got it in the mid 70's, it came with my first kit that my dad bought me, a 1965 Slingerland 4 pc gold sparkle. I hated the sound of this cymbal so I used my paper route money to buy some Zildjians. I stuck this cymbal in the closet and never looked at it again. Somehow it followed me when I moved to Texas and it has been sitting in garage for at least 5 years. So I dug it out yesterday. It still sounds like a trash can lid, but with killer sustain. I never had a china cymbal, (never really needed one), so maybe I will add it to my kit and play around with it.

It obviously needs some TLC, I need to clean it up and get the green corrosion marks out. I would ask here how to do it, but I'm sure if I do my homework I will probably find some threads here on how to do that.

Oh yeah, this is my first post. My name is Tim and I got back into drumming about three years ago and found this forum a few months ago. I am now playing a Gretsch Catalina Birch kit with a Yamaha 14X7 brass snare and Zildjian A cymbals.

I will try to post some pics as soon as I figure out how to do it.....

kerope

DFO Master
Reaction score
Welcome to DFO Tim - nice to have you onboard!!! :occasion5:

I guess you can do a search of this forum to find out the info you need.

There are those that believe cleaning a cymbal is tantamount to treason - so be warned! :wink:

tboyd

Reaction score
Hey thanks all, it's good to be here. And yeah Kerope, I know a lot of people are totally against cleaning cymbals, but I figure since this one is of little value and has suffered years of neglect, especially with the green tarnish, that it would be ok to clean it up. :lol:

I will let you know how it comes out...

tim

gryphon

?????!
Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure if Kruts were hand hammered at any point. I have a pair of thin(800 gm) 14" hi hat cymbals that look quite a bit like they were hand hammered. They don't really sound that bad, and I presently use one of them as the bottom cymbal with an early 60's A. Zildjian on my working set and it sounds better than the Zildjian it replaced.

jim