ZZ Top Will Carry On. Tour Resumes Friday?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
If I read this Variety report correctly, ZZ Top resumes its tour Friday in Alabama.

From Variety:

ZZ Top Will Carry On After Dusty Hill’s Death, Billy Gibbons Says

Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top has affirmed that the band will soldier on after the death this week of founding bassist Dusty Hill, asserting that it was his wish to “let the show go on.”

Gibbons texted the statement to SiriusXM “Trunk Nation” host Eddie Trunk, who passed the sentiments along via Twitter.

Gibbons said, per Trunk: “As Dusty said upon his departure, ‘Let the show go on!’ And… with respect, we’ll do well to get beyond this and honor his wishes.”

Added the guitarist in his text to the satellite radio host, “Dusty emphatically grabbed my arm and said, ‘Give Elwood the bottom end and take it to the Top.’ He meant it, amigo. He really did.”

A spokesperson confirmed the band’s plan to carry on to Variety ...

The “Elwood” in Hill’s reported quote is guitar technician Elwood Francis, who has been playing bass in Hill’s absence. The group’s most recent show with Francis filling in for the ailing Hill was July 25 in Kentucky, in a tour that had only kicked off July 16, with Hill on board as usual at the time.

Although Wednesday night’s show was canceled, the band is currently still slated to resume the tour with a Friday night show in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The outing is set to run through Dec. 22 in the U.S. and head into Canada next year. A list of show dates can be found here .

ZZ Top Will Carry On After Dusty Hill's Death, Billy Gibbons Says - Variety

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:scratch:
Looks like someone is going to need to give up the razor if he's gonna fit in properly. :icon_lol:

1627586047374.png

Reactions: JDA

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
They're in the middle of a tour. I can see getting a sub to finish the tour. Three more albums/tours? Nah but at this point there's a lot of money sunk - and not just about padding Mr Gibbons bottom line - it takes a boatload of people to put on headliner shows, and it feeds a lot of people who aren't exactly rich.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
:scratch:
Looks like someone is going to need to give up the razor if he's gonna fit in properly. :icon_lol:

View attachment 510616
look at him
that face dead serious and bad to the bone he's ready
like ready to take a fallen soldier's place on the battlefield
Duty valor.

Last edited:

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I saw the Who in 2002, on the tour they did after John Entwistle had died during rehearsals earlier that year.

The show must go on I guess.

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
look at him
that face dead serious and bad to the bone he's ready
like ready to take a fallen soldier's place on the battlefield
Duty valor.
I thought the same when I saw that pic .

Crap , the only time they are close to me , I have a show that night myself ….

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw the Who in 2002, on the tour they did after John Entwistle had died during rehearsals earlier that year.

The show must go on I guess.
Saw that tour as well and it didn't take them too long to ring up Pino Palladino to get him on board. These tours by these types of bands are massive and employ hundreds who rely on three or four guys to bring the thunder and sell the beer and t-shirts.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Elwood already played a few shows (with fake beard) when Dusty went home last week.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didnt hear about Dusty...RIP. Still regret not seeing ZZ Top open for Jeff Beck a few years back!

When The Ox died, The Who kept plugging away with Pino P. on bass. Not the same, but still a killer show.