ZZ Top Will Carry On. Tour Resumes Friday?

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's the music business and ZZ Top appears to understand business and making money more than almost any band to have existed. I would guess a good chunk has been sent out already and they need to make it back. Lots of people depending on it.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Elwood already played a few shows (with fake beard) when Dusty went home last week.
Based on the phone video I said Elwood's beard was fake, but it's quite real.

What’s really got everybody on the ropes is that Elwood had been holding down the guitar technician post for 30 years as a clean-shaven young fellow. And when the lockdown was imminent, we all gathered for a band meeting, before things got too fierce. And I said, “Dusty, it looks like we’re not going to be able to go do much or go anywhere. What do you plan to do?” And he said, “Well, I’ll tell you what I’m not going to do. And that’s cut the lawn. I’m not going to cut the grass.” And I smiled and said, “Well, I’ll join you on that.” And Elwood piped up and said, “Well, if you guys aren’t going to cut the grass, I’m not going to cut my whiskers.” And when we regathered to commence rehearsals just a week and a half ago, here came Elwood, and I said, “My gosh, you’ve got chin whiskers as long as me and Dusty!”

So when he took the stage the other night, I was looking over the front row and everybody was kind of giving each other the elbow, and they were pointing up and said, “Look, the ZZ Top circus still rolls on. There’s another freak up there.” In fact, I had to stroll over and grab him by the chin to give him a yank, just to show the audience — I said, “Folks, this is the real deal here.” [Laughs.] But he’s honoring Dusty’s wishes, and I know that, wherever Dusty may be, he’s probably smiling, just knowing that all the notes are in place and that the fierceness rolls on.

stevil

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For some reason I hated how The Who carried on after John passed, yet I respect and don’t second guess ZZ Top here. Not that it’s my job to sit in judgment of either band, but feelings will be feelings.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Billy should resurrect The Moving Sidewalks!

But honestly, it doesn't matter what I or anybody thinks. It's their baby, it's their art, it's their livelihood & nobody has the right to 2nd guess them.

Rest peacefully Dusty. Great job in the mortal realm, congrats & thanks.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Billy should resurrect The Moving Sidewalks!

But honestly, it doesn't matter what I or anybody thinks. It's their baby, it's their art, it's their livelihood & nobody has the right to 2nd guess them.

Rest peacefully Dusty. Great job in the mortal realm, congrats & thanks.
No one has the right to second guess them? 100% wrong. We can absolutely have an opinion about whether a band we like is taking actions that help or hurt the group’s current sound or its legacy. It’s their decision, but what the fans think or believe has merit, too.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No one has the right to second guess them? 100% wrong. We can absolutely have an opinion about whether a band we like is taking actions that help or hurt the group’s current sound or its legacy. It’s their decision, but what the fans think or believe has merit, too.
Ha. The fact that some random internet dude disagrees with me illustrates that both our opinions have as much 'merit' or impact as a fart in the wind. But, sure. Let's opine away. It's fun.

I know I'm old, but I miss the days before social media when more folks seemed to understand that your opinion only matters if you have specialized knowledge and/or you've earned enough respect from someone for them to actually listen & consider it.

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ha. The fact that some random internet dude disagrees with me illustrates that both our opinions have as much 'merit' or impact as a fart in the wind. But, sure. Let's opine away. It's fun.

I know I'm old, but I miss the days before social media when more folks seem to understand
that your opinion only matters if you have specialized knowledge and/or you've earned enough respect from someone to actually listen & consider it
So much this /\ !!!!!!!!!!!

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Maybe - but in general, the fans seem totally ignorant to anything beyond their fantasies regarding their "hero".

Fans will say "Well they should stop doing ZZTop (or The Who or whoever) out of some kind for respect". Or even raise an accusatory eyebrow at them performing so soon - as your topic title seems to imply... Such a romantic notion - and so easy to make from those with no skin in the game beyond a few posters hung in their bedroom....

But what about the 10-20 families whose financially depend on their being a ZZTop year after year to pay their mortgage, feed their kids. ZZTop likely have people working for them that have been with them for 20? 30 years?

So when someone in a fan's family dies - everyone in that family has to lose their jobs?? Because that is exactly what this good-hearted, but ignorantly selfish fan sentiment ends up amounting to.

Same bit with the upcoming concert... every concert an artist bails on at the last minute stands a good chance of tanking a local promoter - and the families that rely on his business existing. That's a lot of potential carnage to spread around simply because "We're sad - and out of respect for our fallen band member, we need to back out of all of our previous commitments"

It's so weird to me how so many folks - even players like we have here - that don't get the field of music really does depend a lot on people standing behind that old adage - "The show must go on". It's to just a not true saying - it is actually a necessary component of making our field viable to any degree at all.

Sadly - many artists don't seem to get this. But luckily it sounds like ZZTop gets it. To which I'm sure their staff and crew and other support folks are very grateful.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score

I know I'm old, but I miss the days before social media when more folks seemed to understand that your opinion only matters if you have specialized knowledge and/or you've earned enough respect from someone for them to actually listen & consider it.
Bang on 6topher.

And the big problem this creates now is that to generate income for themselves and try to keep relevant, the mainstream media like to fabricate a story out of what some halfwit on social media thinks in order to stir up some controversy or "water cooler talk" as they like to call it. Sorry, a bit political there, back on topic.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bang on 6topher.

And the big problem this creates now is that to generate income for themselves and try to keep relevant, the mainstream media like to fabricate a story out of what some halfwit on social media thinks in order to stir up some controversy or "water cooler talk" as they like to call it. Sorry, a bit political there, back on t
Ha thanks man. I don't talk politics on social media or in the drum shop. But...there's only 2 ways to (maybe) make your opinion count in this country as a card carrying member of the great unwashed masses. When you vote & where you spend your dollars.

Last edited:

kevmill70

Reaction score
Isn't it ironic that in a band known for their beards, the drummer Frank Beard doesn't have one?
I say that all the time! Weird. It's like the Dick Sargent, Sargent York discussion Mike Meyers (as Wayne) has in in Wayne's world

Paradiddle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Elwood already played a few shows (with fake beard) when Dusty went home last week.
Wow. Frank seems all over the place with his time. I heard clear rushing and a substantial drag. And not like Charlie Watts where it's planned. But bad.....

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Maybe - but in general, the fans seem totally ignorant to anything beyond their fantasies regarding their "hero".

Fans will say "Well they should stop doing ZZTop (or The Who or whoever) out of some kind for respect". Or even raise an accusatory eyebrow at them performing so soon - as your topic title seems to imply... Such a romantic notion - and so easy to make from those with no skin in the game beyond a few posters hung in their bedroom....

But what about the 10-20 families whose financially depend on their being a ZZTop year after year to pay their mortgage, feed their kids. ZZTop likely have people working for them that have been with them for 20? 30 years?

So when someone in a fan's family dies - everyone in that family has to lose their jobs?? Because that is exactly what this good-hearted, but ignorantly selfish fan sentiment ends up amounting to.

Same bit with the upcoming concert... every concert an artist bails on at the last minute stands a good chance of tanking a local promoter - and the families that rely on his business existing. That's a lot of potential carnage to spread around simply because "We're sad - and out of respect for our fallen band member, we need to back out of all of our previous commitments"

It's so weird to me how so many folks - even players like we have here - that don't get the field of music really does depend a lot on people standing behind that old adage - "The show must go on". It's to just a not true saying - it is actually a necessary component of making our field viable to any degree at all.

Sadly - many artists don't seem to get this. But luckily it sounds like ZZTop gets it. To which I'm sure their staff and crew and other support folks are very grateful.
Couldn’t have said it better.