header.nohb.html

zzzzzz... seriously sleeper snares... zzzzzz

rayboomboom

Reaction score
70s Pearl COB snares with the simple Non-Jupiter Gladstone strainer (non-parallel type). Both the 5x14 and the 6.5x14 models feature super heavy weight brass shells with seams and they just have something very special about the sound they produce. They are much heavier than their counterparts from other companies. Less honk than a Ludwig COB, more crack with LOTS of body. I like them with Remo CS Coated Reverse Dot batter heads and Remo Hazy Ambassador Snare side heads and Canopus Vintage wires (both chrome plated and non-chrome plated wires are great...the non-chrome plated wires are a little drier sounding). They are particularly great if you swap out the batter stock hoop with a die cast hoop too or swap both hoops for brass hoops.
Anyway, I know that some drummers are aware that the 5x14 model was the infamous Stewart Copeland snare used on all of the albums from Zenyatta Mondatta onward. It's a noticeable change in tone and crack from the first two albums. His drum has a Gretsch Die Cast hoop swapped out for the batter side. It's a special drum.
Anyway, they used to be very cheap until recently, but you can still find a nice one that will play beautifully for $250-$300, which is pretty cheap these days considering the prices on everything else. I had 5 of them at one time, but I sold off a couple recently, one to Ted Nugent's drummer who is local to me. He loved the one with the plating stripped down to the raw brass. It sounded amazing, even with these raggedy old Remo Heads and 42 strand generic snare wires. It sounded stupid great.

View attachment 577435
I had one of these but the Jupiter model 6.5, but the snare wires were trashed (and was never able to find any replacements) so I installed an Indie strainer and butt plate. Loved that snare but it was so loud I couldn't use it very often. I sold it and wish I hadn't now.

But I found the wood model of the Jupiter. 6.5" that someone installed a generic strainer and butt plate. Love it! I changed the bottom hoop to a Pearl S Hoop so it sits on the snare stand better. It's my main snare right now. I want to change out the strainer but not sure what to install. Very nice tone, deep and full with lots of tuning range.

BTW, I love Pearl tom holders!

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Maybe not common enough to be a "sleeper" but cheap enough (to me anyway) but I vote for a Tempus fiberglass snare that I bought some years ago from someone (can't remember who) on this very forum. It's a really modest looking thing, 5" deep, 8 lugs, gold sparkle with nice but kind of generic looking hardware. I kept it for a kind of extra one for a while, but more recently pulled it out and it now might be my favorite snare. it's got a dry, but not too dry tonal quality and has a nice combo of being really sensitive when played on the edge (crush rolls sound seamless) and a more succinct, almost compressed quality when struck closer to the middle. What's a little odd about it to me is the fact that as great as this thing is, it has no badge on it to identify it. You'd think that the maker would be prod of such a thing and want to advertise it...?

Also, a Ludwig Standard wood snare that I also bought for cheap. I'd assume that it has much the same qualities as a Ludwig branded one of the same era, but can be found for far cheaper. It's got a more resonant, more lively tone than the Tempus, but is similarly sensitive and crisp. Since it's wood though it isn't too pingy sounding, which is the vibe that I think that I prefer.

Last edited:

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
Lotta good drums mentioned here (I'll second Supralites.)

In this bracket, I'll nominate Slingerland's 60s/70s COB Sound King snares. Another excellent yet inelegant plain Jane drum, but this one sounds and feels distinctively different.

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This
20210218_211020-01.jpeg

larold

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Based on what I've owned:

Tama Artwood. I got one used for about $75. I rounded over the top edge a little, put 42-strand snares on the bottom and die-cast hoops. At my last show, a recording engineer commented on how great it sounded.

Mapex MPX. I had an 8x14. I also put on die-casts and a 42-strand snare. It was too deep for me, but it sounded great.

ppfd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
70s Pearl COB snares with the simple Non-Jupiter Gladstone strainer (non-parallel type). Both the 5x14 and the 6.5x14 models feature super heavy weight brass shells with seams and they just have something very special about the sound they produce. They are much heavier than their counterparts from other companies. Less honk than a Ludwig COB, more crack with LOTS of body. I like them with Remo CS Coated Reverse Dot batter heads and Remo Hazy Ambassador Snare side heads and Canopus Vintage wires (both chrome plated and non-chrome plated wires are great...the non-chrome plated wires are a little drier sounding). They are particularly great if you swap out the batter stock hoop with a die cast hoop too or swap both hoops for brass hoops.
Anyway, I know that some drummers are aware that the 5x14 model was the infamous Stewart Copeland snare used on all of the albums from Zenyatta Mondatta onward. It's a noticeable change in tone and crack from the first two albums. His drum has a Gretsch Die Cast hoop swapped out for the batter side. It's a special drum.
Anyway, they used to be very cheap until recently, but you can still find a nice one that will play beautifully for $250-$300, which is pretty cheap these days considering the prices on everything else. I had 5 of them at one time, but I sold off a couple recently, one to Ted Nugent's drummer who is local to me. He loved the one with the plating stripped down to the raw brass. It sounded amazing, even with these raggedy old Remo Heads and 42 strand generic snare wires. It sounded stupid great.

View attachment 577435
I just want to come up and play pinball

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
Every vintage six lug student snare
Here are the majority of my 6-lug "student" snare drums. The hardware for the "Sparkling Green Pearl" Slingerland drum was being cleaned and polished when I took this picture. Please, no drooling over the Ludwig Pioneer in Mod Orange...it's a re-wrap! I've got some wonderful 60's MIJ drums, an Olympic (Premier) along with many Slingerland and a Rogers Luxor. I'm glad I obtained all these when I did. Even as "sleeper" drums, prices have all skyrocketed and I probably couldn't afford them today!!

-Mark

6-lug snare drums.jpg

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
Ludwig Taiwanese import metal snares from the late 90’s/early aughts. They had a 300 numbering system. They may have been designated as Rocker, but I can’t recall for sure. I owned every shell type (steel, brass, bronze) with the exception of the bronze. The 6.5x14 302 was an amazing drum, very close to a Supra. You can find the 5x14 300 fairly often, but the 302’s are pretty rare, and generally pricy. I really regret getting rid of them. I sold them off when my hearing went haywire and most of my stuff went.

Ludwig4life

Reaction score
Rimshots are way better , cross sticks super fat focused some over tones in a good way I don’t use any muffling any more

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
why you guys working over agonizing over snare drums when the greatest were made from 1920- 1968/78. Why not just concentrate on those and "be done" with it

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree with that statement, no wait I totally disagree with that statement..................