Surely I can't be the only one that can't stand "yellowed" WMP??

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is there any other finish that doesn't stand the test of time like white marine pearl? I know some love it, but its a deal- breaker for me.
Not a fan of wmp in general. It's a boring finish. It's the white Ford Taurus of drum finishes. Sure a lot of people have it, that doesn't mean they have taste or it's good.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a fan of large chip WMP. A slight degree of yellowing is fine, as long as it's consistent across each shell and across the kit. What I don't like are today's "pre-aged" offerings. Many of them have the look of flesh tone band aids.

gkrk

Reaction score
I need real examples of what anyone here means by "yellowed" WMP. My experience is that there are a lot of WMP finishes from every company over the very many years it's been available. My thinking is that an old drum's going to look old, not new. I like old drums and take what I get. I've got a 1930s Leedy snare in Black Marine Pearl that's totally green, and it's very cool. Same thing with an early 1940s Slingerland Hollywood Ace Radio King snare, dulled to green Black Marine Pearl. With my eyes closed, drums sound the way they sound.

And maybe this thread belongs in the Vintage Forum.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
For me, the smaller the chips the better. Going all the way back to when I was a kid in the '50s and '60s I could not stand the WMP that Ludwig used to use. Those big, horizontal rings made it look like "Sky White Pearl", not WMP. Thank goodness they recently came to their senses and started using the small-chip over neutral-white WMP that most others use. When I bought my Ludwig Legacy Maple kit in 2013 I got it in WMP. (Really wanted Arctic White, but they discontinued it the year before because they said it yellowed too quickly as it aged.)

Here's my current instrument (the photo makes it look a bit pink, but it's white):

IMG_0615_S.jpg

And I really dislike WMP that's yellowed, either by age and exposure to tobacco smoke, or aged on purpose. (Ludwig's "Vintage White Marine"? YUCK!)

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I didn't think I'd like it, but aparker's new nicotine wmp session studio selects look fantastic.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
For me, there has been a lifetime of avoiding WMP, turning away, shunning it as a mistake from another era.

I had to grow to appreciate naturally-aged WMP for its imperfection, and its visual testament to impermanence.

Now I see it as a thing of evolved beauty, as I see the patina on the blades of my favorite carbon steel knives, the shine and wear of my oldest leather belt, the changing interior glaze of my favorite handmade Japanese tea cup after 7,000 servings of my morning sencha.

I used to polish my cymbals but no more.

Evenly aged WMP? It’s the closest we drummers have to Emmylou Harris’ hair, not the color, but the spirit of age into continuous and transformative beauty.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is there any other finish that doesn't stand the test of time like white marine pearl? I know some love it, but its a deal- breaker for me.
I never understood the attraction to worn out looking gear. Unless it’s on the cheaper end or it’s a sound you can’t believe it sounds so good, what’s the point? It’s only likely to break and in the case you’re describing and it looks like crap. It’s like nicotine stains on the walls of the homes of smokers.

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah.... while at least one Chattanooga guy like WMP :icon_e_wink:, I am still struggling with my next purchase over this very issues of yellowing. I restored my 1974 Slingerland's a few years ago and have no regret in going with this specific shade and pattern of WMP....

DSC_0023 copy.jpg

I have been longing for a reissue SONOR vintage Series kit for some time now and would prefer the WMP finish. But I am struggling to get my head around the almost pink hue of the color.... It is truly the only reason I dont own one yet.

1584704039838.png

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I was younger I hated WMP. Rather, I preferred the contrast of BDP or black sparkle with white heads. WMP with white heads just didn't make it and yellowed WMP gave me the creeps. Then I came into possession of a yellowed WMP Rogers set that changed my mind. It looked so warm and cozy and it brought a smile every time I looked at it. I still prefer black sets but I can now tolerate WMP, especially if it's yellowed. I guess I can appreciate mellowing with age.

IMG_0139.JPG

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
White Marine Pearl in all of its variations, shades, and states of yellowing has been my one and only favorite drum cover since day one. To me, it looks sophisticated, clean, and professional. The only other drum finish I've owned and loved was my Recording Customs in Tobacco Burst finish - and only because it was so darned perfect, deep, glossy, and like fine furniture. Now, though, I'm back to WMP!

GeeDeeEmm

First drum set - Apollo
First Drum Set, First Band 005.JPG

(Current gigging set: Pacific CX Maples)
First Drum Set, First Band 009.JPG

(Current "house" Slingerland kit)
Slingerland House Shots 001.JPG

Latest posts